CoffeeCup software quirks - Post ID 3108

User 406328 Photo

38 posts

Hi all.

Since I bought the whole range of CC software, I have come across some quirks that CC have not had reported to them before and cannot understand.

They affected all 3 of my PCs here, running a mixture of XP and Vista (5 OSs in total).

1) After installation, some shortcuts pointed to 'install.log' instead of the necessary executable

2) With some programs, if an updated version is installed over the previous; it is not possible to turn off the display of tips at startup. One has to uninstall the previous version first.

3) Uninstalling some apps is an issue. The uninstall program reports that it cannot find the 'install.log' file. The solution is to open a command prompt in the program's folder and type 'unwise.exe install.log' (unwise install.log also works). This was found Googling for Wise installer issues.

Some of the OSs used for testing are virgin, and some have been heavily used. The only thing they have in common is that the locale is set to the UK. All were similarly affected by the above, not just one OS.

Whilst the above may be attributable to the installation program, it has been used here many times in well over 12 years of intensive hobbyist computing they have *never* occurred before.

I wonder is anybody else has come across these issues?

Happy New Year to all.

Cheers

Guy
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hi there. I haven't seen any issue yet with the install.log file (never noticed there was one), either w/ shortcuts or uninstalling.

I have, however, had issues with the Tip at startup. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't apply to my laptop, and then I found out it was like you said, related to previous versions. The tips are located in a Tips.txt file during install. When choosing not to load them at startup, the Tips.txt file is renamed to Tips2.txt. If you uninstall a previous version left at Tips2.txt, it keeps the file in the folder and the fresh install now creates a Tips.txt. Now, you'll end up with both files Tips.txt & Tips2.txt. If Tips2.txt is still there from the previous install, Tips.txt will not rename itself when telling the Tips to go away and so they will continue to reappear. My workaround, manually rename Tips.txt to something else or delete it. ;) I guess by default, naturally, an uninstall is only going to remove what it installed (which wasn't tips2.txt originally). Ideally with a future update, the uninstall would look to remove either "tips.txt" or "tips2.txt" so neither could be left behind.
User 423345 Photo

1 post

Dr. Teeth is exactly right as I have encountered the exact same issue with exception of the Tips one.

Thanks for the hints on how to remove the software as it was driving me nuts. ;o)

The shortcuts pointing to the install log was a bit of a bugger too....although I fixed that one on my own.

Cheers
User 406328 Photo

38 posts

Thank goodness it isn't just me.

Ping CoffeeCup; get this software sorted. You cannot blame my PC* any more <g>.

*Actually, all 6 of my Windows setups (3 x XP; 3 x Vista) on 4 PCs are affected.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hey Scott, are you in the UK too? I'm wondering about that "UK locale" as Dr. Teeth stated, but also wondering why more people haven't had the same problem, as I'm sure there's a lot of users from the UK.
User 406328 Photo

38 posts

@ Adam.

Just because people don't report problems does not mean they don't have them. I found the solution to the uninstalling issue on Google within 5 minutes. It seems to be a bug with the Unwise software, and quite a common one at that.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

I only had that problem when installing on an external hard drive and running it from same.

User 406328 Photo

38 posts

Bruce wrote:
I only had that problem when installing on an external hard drive and running it from same.

I downloaded the software to my D: drive; installed it on C:.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Understood, but with a tally of almost 40 million downloads and these forums being specifically for these apps, this would be the place to mention these things, and this community doesn't seem to be shy in sharing their troubles. Shoot, I email them if a word isn't capitalized, a dead shortcut would be a disaster in comparison. The bigger question though, is why wouldn't it happen to everyone? All I can do is try to narrow down the possibilities. If the Unwise fails with only a select few, then I would have to assume there must be a conflict with something else specific to that computer. So far, the only clue that seemed to stick out had been the UK locale, especially since you have several computers and I'm sure the majority, if not all, are up & running just fine otherwise. I figured Coffeecup, being a US company, may not have run across the issue in testing if it indeed were related to settings pertaining to another country. But without more people sharing the problem, it's tougher to find the common thread. Of course, if you ran across similar findings related to the Unwise software, that should help CC a lot in the narrowing down the mystery. Glad you mentioned it. Sorry if I get defensive, I really am trying to help. No, really. ;)
User 406328 Photo

38 posts

Hey Adam, you did not sound defensive at all, just <Spock> quite logical </Spock> ;).

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.