Virtual Editor Support for HTML5 -...

User 2168815 Photo

3 posts

How soon can we expect the virtual editor to accept html5 doctypes? I've tried cheating by just changing the doctype in the header but the virtual editor balks at any code that smacks of html5, even in the body of the document.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Most likely it will never support HTML5.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2168815 Photo

3 posts

Can you suggest a workaround? I've been successful in pasting the body content of a page into a 4.01 transitional doctype and make it work but it's a hassle. The virtual editor is handy in a lot of ways and I would dearly love to find a better way to use it with my html5 pages.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

There can be no work around because many of the components that the visual editor uses are not setup to write out HTML5 markup.

What you may want to do instead is press F12 and use the Split Screen Preview.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2168815 Photo

3 posts

Thank you for your help. Perhaps that change will come when html5 becomes the standard. I very much like your editor and it's features but had hoped for more html5 support.
User 2048114 Photo

1 post

Hi Scott,

Given that HTML5 is now fast becoming a industry standard in web design will you be rethinking your position on this language? or be left behind.
I have purchased a lot of your apps and now will need to change to something else because I want to be iPad friendly.

Cheers

The Hosk.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Chris Hosking wrote:
Hi Scott,

Given that HTML5 is now fast becoming a industry standard in web design will you be rethinking your position on this language? or be left behind.
I have purchased a lot of your apps and now will need to change to something else because I want to be iPad friendly.

Cheers

The Hosk.

The Visual Editor will never have HTML5 support but that has no impact on anything regarding a website being "iPad friendly". Actually sticking to the Code Editor is even better for that reason as it gives you full control over the markup.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.