Poll Creator? #2 - Post ID 184650

User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Ok now I'm done too.

:D:D

Great job on summarizing poll/survey resources!

Thanks for all that work, Jo Ann!
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

I'm ducking from the frying pan assault, before i am done here :) to

Perfectly clear to me, i'm off to fight with live chat, on VSD website @ JH with cpanel, which has : Polls and Surveys, Advanced Poll, LimeSurvey, phpESP (just for the record) all for £24.00 per year and so much more.
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Viv ...VSD & SCCP user wrote:
JoAnn the site Melissa wants the poll on does not use Cpanel, its the basic bit of FREE space one gets with a broadband/phone account intended purely for private personal use, like a family album ! (CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)

I think the business account possibly she does not have access to the c panel, or if she does she may not know how to use it, or what it has available, possibly a split hosting with NO ACCESS AT ALL .

Correct, the business site is hosted by HostGator and has Cpanel. I know how to use SOME of it. I can use the control panel part, for example, and do basic file uploads/downloads from it. But it was set up for me, by the guy who designed the site last summer. I can also use Wordpress pretty decently, to change my content, but am not by any stretch, a website designer or programmer. Remember, I didn't even know how to convert my simple previous sites to CSS. I've picked up a little of that, but am essentially too busy with the business and other things here, to devote time to learning a lot.

And yes, even IF I knew how to get VSD to do everything that Wordpress can do, I still wouldn't have the time and energy to redesign the whole business site at this point. We're just trying to find ways here, right now, to try to survive the coming global economic Collapse.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Yes Viv I know the site she wants it on doesn't have cPanel, that's why I've been repeating myself each post and saying (let me slow this down so it's perfectly clear)

Go go the site you have that "does" have cPanel

Create the Poll you want using your Fantastico or Scriptaculous or whatever system you have on your cPanel that gives you all the great apps and software, they all have it pretty much.

Save it so it's on the site that has cPanel, but don't include it in that site if it's not needed there.

NOW go to the site that does not have cPanel, the one that you actually want the poll on.

Use an iframe and link that iframe to the poll on the other site. This should work just like including sections of any other site in an iframe.

Does that make it clearer? It's what I've been telling her to do since she said she had cPanel on the other site lol. Can't get much easier and much more convenient and free than that :)

Ok, I had no idea what you were even talking about with Fantastico, so I just took a look on Cpanel.

For surveys, they appear to have LimeSurvey. I found that one yesterday and am looking into it now. It's apparently a free survey tool on the web, but looks VERY robust, which means, with my basic knowledge, I'm gonna have to figure out what the heck to do with it, and how. LOL

I DO appreciate your efforts here Jo Ann, they're just so over my head at times, that I get frustrated, sorry.

Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Jo Ann wrote:

I'll look at Bravenet again, I didn't see anything on there at all about having to pay them for anything on those polls.

**EDIT**
I've looked and once again, you're interpreting things incorrectly on the Bravenet site. Here is exactly what it says for the 2 different plans:

I would like a FREE Vote Caster Service
Create several topic sets that your visitors can vote on with a click. The free Vote Caster is a top notch ad-supported service.

I would like a PRO Vote Caster Service

Remove the ads! The Professional Service allows you to conduct surveys in up to 50 topics. Keep your vote statistics private and remove all of the ads!

Basically it's whether you want ads or not, and how many topics you need, and that the statistics can be private with the paid version. I didn't see anything on your posts saying you needed any of this so this is still a very viable service for you. You don't have to pay to show your statistics, only to keep them private and have much more choices is all. I am very sure it will do what you need.

I'm so confused with that, it's not funny. I'm trying to get past it asking the question "how do you like my website" in my survey. I need to be able to put in my own questions and allow for a numerical answer from 0-100, and am not even sure how that can be done there. Will have to get into it more, when I have time...
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Melissa, I think the point here is we all pick up on different parts of website design, learn some bits easier than others, and others learn some bits we dont get a grasp on.

I don't know what an "i frame is" but no doubt JoAnn will point out that i am already using them.

I may have written a dozen or so websites with VSD but I have never touched Wordpress, and i can't do any html code.

This weekend i spent hours and hours trying to get live chat working (third attempt since November) tore my hair out, because it just did not occur to me it was FLASH, so i didn't think to use VSD flash tool to install it. Took ten minutes once i realised.

If i go to my Jhost cpanel and set up one of those polls i could get it to work on a site hosted at jhost, but i would not be able to do what JoAnn suggests installing it on another server isp account in an iframe.

But and its a BIG BUT, JoAnn has explained very clearly how to do it, so you have the tools, the instructions, and no doubt when you have the time you will get it to work :)

Website design for personal websites is time consuming and should be fun, and at the end of the day, my delorean site (3rd version to date) has probably in total taken me over a thousand hours, a qualified experienced designer no doubt could have done it in 100 hours or less @ £50.00 per hour where as i have spent £250.00 on programs, all CC and there are 5 other live sites out there for friends who have benefited from my learning experience and free use of my CC programs (see wedding car site, & photography in signature)

Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yep that's well said Viv. Melissa there is one thing I need to say. I think you are jumping into the pot before reading the recipe so to speak. Google some online tutorials for HTML and CSS and do some lessons on it to better understand it. Site design is frustrating enough when you have a clue, but when you come in guns blaring expecting things to just put themselves together it just doesn't work that way.

I understand you don't have time for this and that, but others don't have time to do this and that "for you" to lessen that burden. Truly I would suggest taking some courses, tutorials etc. (there are tons of free ones out there) or pay someone to do the site for you because truly at this point, most everything is over your head and we have spent so many hours already just trying to explain just a handful of things to you.

Don't misunderstand me, I think you have the potential, you just need to do the work to learn it rather than expecting everyone to do it for you. So far almost everything has been done for you. Take some time and learn some things and then when you do that you will have constructive questions instead of pleas for others to do things for you.
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Little tiny point that should be mentioned just for the record

Trial user :: not purchased any programs yet
Registered user :: bought some CC programs
Ambassador :: bought quite a lot of CC programs, or CC gave out title for some reason or another
Senior advisor :: CC given title probably for being extra helpful in forums

None of the above are employed or paid by CC , might get a few perks ;)

VP of Product Development :: CC employee paid to advise

Scott Swedorski :: to most people in here a hero breaks his kneck to help CC users, trying to earn enough from CC to buy a Porsche :)

Most people in here therefore giving help and advice, are amateurs, who like you came in here for help when WE could not work out how to do things ourselves, and in my case still need help regularly

There are a few who write websites, full or part time for a living, and i dare say ask nicely and there are a few amateurs in here who would write a website for a very small fee in order to help out someone struggling who can't afford to pay a developer thousands of pounds.

User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

Take a stab at this one.
http://proxy2.de/poll/index.php
http://svn.proxy2.de/repos/protected/poll/trunk/
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.