MySql Data Entry, Data Retrieval,...

User 1750231 Photo

25 posts

I have long wanted to see this function in Coffeecup myself. Because it didn't exist here, I switched to other Web authoring programs for several years, programs that had database-connection wizards.

That said, setting up MySQL databases themselves is fairly easy. Just use the PHPMyAdmin interface, which is usually installed on hosting accounts, from which you can create and manage your databases. Because I used to work a lot in MS Access, working with MySQL via PHPMyAdmin was a relatively short learning curve for me (PHPMyAdmin is fairly visual and intuitive).

The tricky part is writing the PHP that calls the data and displays it in your pages. I got around that with a combination of book tutorials and Web authoring software (I won't use the name here, as it's a competing product) that allowed me to create pages for input, modification, and display of data in my databases. The software did most of the heavy lifting.

Reviewers have long criticized Coffeecup's lack of database-connection functionality, and I have waited patiently for something like this. The main reason I returned to using Coffeecup has been that I primarily use Wordpress for dynamic sites now, so I haven't needed a database feature so much (plus, I can use my other aforementioned Web authoring software for that). But if Coffeecup creates a Web database-wizard program, I will probably buy it.

User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Perhaps a pro version of Form Builder that also produces the code necessary to query the Form Builder fields stored in the MySQL database? :)
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 376558 Photo

1 post

I need something similar. I would like to be able to restrict users to viewing only the information that they entered (like shipping addresses, as an example, though not my application).

Even better would be the ability to have some aspects of the viewing information public and others restricted to the original creator as well as admins, ideally being able to view it in an arranged fashion (coffeecup form retrieval? )

Fo those who have nothing more constructive to add than telling me to learn php, I will in turn say, why don't you learn my job instead? I am looking for a way to make the job I have easier, not an additional one to do with the one I already have. Sorry, but its a personal pet peeve when someone asks for help and gets the "just go learn it all yourself" answer.

OP: "Hey, if one of you canneries would put tuna in a can, I'd buy it."

FORUM: "You know, if you just buy a fishing trawler, some nets, learn to navigate with a sextant and find a few choice locations, you could have tons of free fresh Tuna that is way better than that canned crap."

OP: Yeah, I know, but I just want a sandwich to take to work during Lent.

Coffeecup is looking for software ideas that people would pay money for. I would pay money for this capability. If Coffecup can provide this to me for a reasonable price faster than I can learn php, leaving me more time to be successful at what I am trying to do, then outstanding.

If not, then I will eventually get around to learrning what I need to do what I want.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Interesting first post. Welcome to the forum.
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

I have a sister-in-law who can do all of this for you for a couple of thousand euros.:(

With the greatest respect to you and of course to CC, I think this kind of thing is a little beyond the CC mission of affordable software. Certainly that is how I read things right now. But hey... they might surprise us and prove me wrong.

If you look at the software they produce, I see a common denominator of affordable, intuitive software for the uninitiated (with a couple of exceptions such as the html editor) and this is why I don't personally see this kind of database handling as being on their "wish list" right now. I would envisage that this kind of software you describe would involve a lot of security issues too.

But asking for what you need is licit by all means.
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

Verlon Smith wrote:
..... If Coffecup can provide this to me for a reasonable price faster than I can learn php, leaving me more time to be successful at what I am trying to do, then outstanding.

If not, then I will eventually get around to learrning what I need to do what I want.

php tutorials ;):lol::P
http://www.pixieplots.co.nz/forum/viewforum.php?f=4
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

They're Grrrrreat!
User 1982210 Photo

18 posts

I have taught myself php via google, its not that difficult if you have basic programming skills.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.