Feature Updates - Post ID 128522

User 459894 Photo

9 posts

Janys Hyde wrote:
Could it be that Yahoo sets a limit on the amount of uploading you can do in any one session or day even? I know some servers set these limits.

Not that I know of. Yahoo has hosted my website for 9 years and its over 400 pages of text and
thousands of photographs. I have often shipped it a bunch of stuff as once. It's not uncommon for me to throw 10 photos at it at once and since I use thumbnails I'm reall throwing 20 at it, and it was never an issue with my prior FTP product,, but of course that doesn't mean that Yahoo didn't monkey with something. I use one of their intermediate hosting packages as the website is large, but I don't sell anything over it so don't need the store stuff.

What I've noticed that is different from my prior product is that there is no 'auto logout'.

I will load the FTP direct product, push the upload button, find the 'connect' button, and it will connect and display my direcgtories and highlight the 'disconnect' button.

even if I don nothing further, it will sit there for days at a time in that condition and if I decide to upload a file I can as it is still 'connected'. The brand x product automatically disconnected after 300 seconds of non use and you had to log in again.

But what I do see if I try to upload too many files in a short periord of time is that I get a 'too many connections/badpassword error message. and I am locked out of the server for a hour or two.
no matter what I do. --- I can push the disconnect button, exit the program and reload, (and can't get in)
or I can just ignore the situation for an hour or so, and the server is happy again and I can go on about my business as if nothing had ever been wrong.
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Well it could be that some of their "small print" has changed and it would be worth checking out. I am always loathe to change settings and things which have worked for ages, so can understand your worries. Have you contacted them about this connection issue? After all, like CC they too will have developers working on their software all the time and not always getting it absolutely right the first time. They will surely use consumer feedback to iron out the creases ...
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

To highlight multiple files at a time you can click a file then scroll down and holding the shift button, click the last file you want to use (equivalent of using the mouse drag) and it should highlight a section of files starting with the first one you clicked on and ending with the last one you did a shift-click on.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Robert, I'm on Yahoo also. For years this never happened, then all of a sudden.... Whenever I had a lot of changes to make... Wham! Locked out! Spoke to a Yahoo rep about it - he said it's for security. Just in case all the activity was something evil trying to get into your site.
Do you ever use the upload files feature in your control panel? Sometimes when things are acting up, I use that instead of trying to FTP. Not as efficient as loading multiple files at once - but you don't have to worry about losing a connection (I've never been locked out while in the control panel uploading files this way.)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 459894 Photo

9 posts

paintbrush wrote:
Robert, I'm on Yahoo also. For years this never happened, then all of a sudden.... Whenever I had a lot of changes to make... Wham! Locked out! Spoke to a Yahoo rep about it - he said it's for security. Just in case all the activity was something evil trying to get into your site.
Do you ever use the upload files feature in your control panel? Sometimes when things are acting up, I use that instead of trying to FTP. Not as efficient as loading multiple files at once - but you don't have to worry about losing a connection (I've never been locked out while in the control panel uploading files this way.)

Thanks for confirming that I'm not imagining the problem. I think the lockout happens at 9 files, but I'm thinking you can get there even if the files are not sent end to end, and the time out is quite a while but
I haven't got that precisely yet. but I think its an hour.
User 92156 Photo

272 posts

I had a similar problem with my hoster when I made major changes to my site - got about 4 or 5 transfers in before being locked out without warning because the server interpreted it as a cyber attack.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Gotta love Yahoo and Godaddy. :)
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

I've been shut out for as long as 12 hours :P
If anything ever does manage to hi-jack my site I'm going to be really pissed, since so often I can't even get to it! :lol:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.