CSS File Generator - Post ID 3563

User 275858 Photo

5 posts

Here's an idea to chew on. Right now if you want to put in some CSS code you need to put it into every page that you create (using visual site generator). How about when you get it all done and create the HTML code for the multiple pages you have a program that scans all the pages for CSS code and creates a CSS file.

My idea goes something like this. User adds CSS code via the add HTML option. Maybe puts a special tag as a comment at the beginning and end of the CSS code (like /* Begin Common CSS code and /* End Common CSS code

This will trigger the CSS file generator to extract that info from the HTML code and put it in a CSS file.

I love using CSS code to change the look of a website but hate to change it in every page of the website.

I don't think a file scanner like this would be too hard to make.

What do you think?

Ken
User 184085 Photo

Ambassador
1,707 posts

ken@owntheladder.com wrote:
Here's an idea to chew on. Right now if you want to put in some CSS code you need to put it into every page that you create (using visual site generator). How about when you get it all done and create the HTML code for the multiple pages you have a program that scans all the pages for CSS code and creates a CSS file.

My idea goes something like this. User adds CSS code via the add HTML option. Maybe puts a special tag as a comment at the beginning and end of the CSS code (like /* Begin Common CSS code and /* End Common CSS code

This will trigger the CSS file generator to extract that info from the HTML code and put it in a CSS file.

I love using CSS code to change the look of a website but hate to change it in every page of the website.

What do you think?

Ken

I will start my reply with a comment that I have not used Visual Site designer, I use the HTML Editor becuae I am a nuts and bolts type of programmer, but CC does make a CSS sheet designer, a link is here, http://www.coffeecup.com/stylesheet-maker/

How I attach the CSS page to the HTML page is:

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
@import url(style/style.css);
</style>
placed between the <head> </head> tags on the page.

There must be an equivalent method of attaching CSS pages in VSD.
Volunteering to help :)
http://www.tbaygeek.ca
My HTML play area
http://www.tbaygeek.ca/test/
User 141385 Photo

13 posts

David Wilson wrote:
ken@owntheladder.com wrote:

What do you think?

Ken

I will start my reply with a comment that I have not used Visual Site designer, I use the HTML Editor becuae I am a nuts and bolts type of programmer, but CC does make a CSS sheet designer, a link is here, http://www.coffeecup.com/stylesheet-maker/

How I attach the CSS page to the HTML page is:

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
@import url(style/style.css);
</style>
placed between the <head> </head> tags on the page.

There must be an equivalent method of attaching CSS pages in VSD.

Another way to do it.

<link href="name.css" style="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Where the name.css file is in the main directory. Add directories if in another directory.

That always worked for me.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.