Suggestions for CoffeeCup Sitemapper...

User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

How about adding the ability to include the optional priority tag to different pages?
User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

Another item: How about letting us submit to Google through the software at any time, rather than just at the end of running sitemapper. That we can use that feature after we do any required manual edits to the file.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Edward Kinnally wrote:
Another item: How about letting us submit to Google through the software at any time, rather than just at the end of running sitemapper. That we can use that feature after we do any required manual edits to the file.

You can do that now. Simply bookmark that page. Here is the url.
http://www.coffeecup.com/google-sitemap … t-sitemap/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

Added the bookmark; thanks.
I'm getting senile; the link is right in the program, a big star up top :-(
User 150893 Photo

6 posts

I have just downloaded and tried Sitemapper ver 5.0 build 192.

Perhaps I am missing something but there seems to be a major flaw. It appears that every time you re-read your web site you loose all previous changes you have made to the items. So, if you have edited titles, frequencies and priorities, all this is lost when re-reading the site.

OK, so it is useful when first building a sitemap, but after that you cannot update it automatically by re-reading the web site or you will loose all the changes you have made. Nor, can you manually add new pages to the map so you can't even update it manually (by "manually" I mean manually within the program).

Because of this, I cannot see why anyone would want to run the program automatically on a schedule. All your changes would be automatically overwritten and then uploaded to the site. This is not something I would want to do.

I cannot see any reason to ever automatically change the frequency and priority fields. Once an item has been automatically added to the sitemap, these fields should remain untouched and only changed by the user.

There should be a way to lock the title. This is particularly useful when items are PDF files. This way the user can overwrite the default title (filename) with the actual title of the document. If the title is then lockable, the program can automatically re-read the site without disturbing the user entered document title.

So, with these new features, automatic rereading of the site would only add or delete pages, and refill titles of items that did not have titles locked. New pages would get the default frequency and priority values.

With the addition of these suggestions I can see that Sitemapper would be a useful tool.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Yes that is correct on how it works. Just after the new year we will be having another small update which will allow this information to be saved with your project.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 150893 Photo

6 posts

Scott,

Thank you for the clarification.

I will be looking forward to the update. I'm not sure that "saved with your project" will cover all the issues I mentioned, but I will wait to see.

Here is another suggestion. The Map column on the site tree display is less than useful. It always says Yes. All items that you add to the "Ignore list" are removed from the display so it is not possible to have items that are not to be mapped on the display. I suggest that there should be an option to display all items on this tree and show those that are on the Ignore List as "No" under the map column. Perhaps showing them in a different color would also be helpful.

As with the other data mentioned in my previous post, once the Map field has been read originally, the data should not be changed upon subsequent site readings. New items found during site re-readings should default to "Yes" or perhaps the default should be user specified as with the frequency and priority.

After a site re-read I think it would also be helpful to somehow flag new pages so the user can tell which pages need to be reviewed. It would also be helpful to show pages that are now missing on a site re-read. This would be helpful in case a broken link has been accidentally introduced during site modification.

Regards,
James
User 298134 Photo

14 posts

Hi,

As a new user I am interested in helping sitemapper make progress to a more useful tool. I'm available for alpha and beta testing if needed.

Two issues I encountered immediately:

1. Reloading the csm file does not display the saved list of files last used by Sitemap.

2. I found no option to add new files to Sitemap and then recreate the xml file.

Can you give me a decision whether these are items you will look at, and when?

Thanks
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Robert Young wrote:
Hi,

As a new user I am interested in helping sitemapper make progress to a more useful tool. I'm available for alpha and beta testing if needed.

Two issues I encountered immediately:

1. Reloading the csm file does not display the saved list of files last used by Sitemap.

2. I found no option to add new files to Sitemap and then recreate the xml file.

Can you give me a decision whether these are items you will look at, and when?

Thanks

Please see http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/sitemap … post102075

;)

User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

I just had to change my ftp password, so I had to update all programs that upload using ftp, including Sitemapper. The only way I could see to do this was to run sitemapper and then make pages on the upload page. It would be more convenient to have access to the ftp settings from the main page.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.