SiteMapper Files - Post ID 108688

User 515757 Photo

9 posts

I have been using another "generic" sitemap program then stated to use the CC product. My question is: can the program generate the sitemap.xml / *.html / *.txt without the supporting CSS files that appear to make them snappy looking..To me making a sitemap for a Google bot is not about splashing on the perfume and red lipstick...I like the speed of the program and can move the files to my web served using another FTP program - but I am concerned that uploading only the *.xml / *.html files may not be possible without the other supporting files...Does anyone know if the supporting files are critical to what the search engines need to read. Human like snappy colors - but what about those pesky 'bots.....Thanks for any technical answers from the land of SEO...

Mike P.
Buffalo, NY

www.BellaMiaCandy.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Really, the XML file is all you need for the search engines. That is actually what the core of the program is for. We just added an even nicer feature that lets you take the same data and build a sitemap for your users as well.

Google does not put any requirements that I know of that you have an HTML version of your sitemap. The XML file is more then enough for them. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the other ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 515757 Photo

9 posts

Scott:

Thanks for the clarification on the XML versus the supporting files. My preference is for an easy to use product (uh - that would be CC sitemapper...) that can give me some control of what & where the sitemap generator program gets to "chew" on...

I will re-run the program then isolate the XML file and the HTML file then upload to my web server. Also - I have added two lines in my robots.txt file that points to the two files for any web crawlers...both the xml & html - in this case, would both files be used? Should the first file name reference be to the xml file? I have not read anything on the web about if TWO or more files in the robots.txt is a "no-no"...Thanks for any more follow up comments on this issue!

Mike P.
Nickel City USA
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Michael Pelone wrote:
Scott:

Thanks for the clarification on the XML versus the supporting files. My preference is for an easy to use product (uh - that would be CC sitemapper...) that can give me some control of what & where the sitemap generator program gets to "chew" on...

I will re-run the program then isolate the XML file and the HTML file then upload to my web server. Also - I have added two lines in my robots.txt file that points to the two files for any web crawlers...both the xml & html - in this case, would both files be used? Should the first file name reference be to the xml file? I have not read anything on the web about if TWO or more files in the robots.txt is a "no-no"...Thanks for any more follow up comments on this issue!

Mike P.
Nickel City USA

The XML file is really all you need to reference in my opinion.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.