Resubmitting a Google site map? -...

User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Hey all,

My first attempt at uploading a Google site map was a bit of a disaster! I'm using a flash banner and navbar and didn't realise that the app would pick this up (my mistake obviously!)

Anyway - I've added basic links and the map seems a to be fine now. I have submitted the origional to google via the Coffee Cup portal, but now want to re-uplaod the fixed map.

Can I just do just that? Re-upload the amended files to my server, and resubmit the new map to Google? will the old map be removed on Google's end or might there be a conflict with two maps?

Thanks in advance ;)
User 322842 Photo

209 posts

Because you reference the URL during the submission, Google will/should ignore the older one.

rodgw
User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Thanks
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

In that same vein it could be a week or more before the google bot recognizes the new sitemap's content. I know I changed the structure of one of my sites and did a new map and well over a week later the stats were still showing 404 errors for every old page I'd taken off the map (and they were still on the site index). They don't make any promises about how much time can pass between updates.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

If you look in the Google webmasters pages, you will find a button for your sitemap, and you will see under the listing a resubmit button. I had to use that button to get Google to re-check my site after I fixed some broken links.
User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Sorry for the dealy posting back.

Thanks for all the replies and advise

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.