Google site mapper - Your sitemap is...

User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Hey all,

I just bought Google Site Mapper and after I upload the files generated by the appp, and try to submit it on Coffee Cups page - I get the error "Your sitemap is not configured to use Google's XML schema." with no explanation as to why...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Into what directory on the host server did you upload the sitemap.xml and sitemap.htm files (as well as the three images)?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Sticker,

I have uploaded the sitemap.xml files for several sites, and Google did not have any problem.
User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Spinny wrote:
Into what directory on the host server did you upload the sitemap.xml and sitemap.htm files (as well as the three images)?

Thhis is my first time using the app, but all the files (including the three images) were uploaded to the master directory with the other root files
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

The sitemapper files need to be in the /public_html directory. If I remember correctly the SiteMapper's built in FTP program tries to put the files into your account root folder ("/") instead of /public_html and I had to explicitly put that directory name into the location field.

Might be worth looking at your account and see exactly where the sitemap files ended up. If they're not in the same place as your index.html I believe Google refuses to log it.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Spinny wrote:
If they're not in the same place as your index.html I believe Google refuses to log it.

Spinny,

I have my xml files in a sub-folder named "sitemap" and using Google webmaster login, I specified the location on each of my sites.

Sticker,

What file are you trying to let Google use?

Have you tried viewing the sitemap on your site?

Have you tried setting up via the Google webmaster tools?
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

BillR,

Good point.

What I was trying (unsuccessfully) to say is if you trust SiteMapper to put the files in /public_html by default, and they're not really there, then using the default URL when you try to register with Google will fail. As I recall I tried my first upload attempt using the default settings and SiteMapper put them in my root folder instead of where they were supposed to go. I had to specifically enter /public_html in the dialog box for the upload session.

You can use sub-folders of public_html, but if you're above /public_html in the directory tree (such as in the root directory of your account space) you're out of scope of web addresses.

User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

Bill good tip. I always use google webmaster tools to verify a website, as well as, indicate the location of the sitemap :)

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

At the risk of hijacking the thread, could one of you start a thread about these Google webmaster tools? I just use my favorite FTP client, but am always interested in new stuff.

User 150656 Photo

67 posts

Spinny wrote:
The sitemapper files need to be in the /public_html directory. If I remember correctly the SiteMapper's built in FTP program tries to put the files into your account root folder ("/") instead of /public_html and I had to explicitly put that directory name into the location field.

Might be worth looking at your account and see exactly where the sitemap files ended up. If they're not in the same place as your index.html I believe Google refuses to log it.

The relevant files are in the rooot directory. Not all servers run a public_html directory - this is the case with my current hosting. But yes - the file are where they should be...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.