Can't seem to get it to work. - Post...

User 1917809 Photo

12 posts

I have saved the csm file but when I go to Create Sitemap it only goes to the sitemap folder and won't open. The csm file is there. I copied it and pasted it on my desktop to see if it would work from there but didn't. Just can't Create no matter what I do.
Also, when I go to open the pdf help file, it says it can't find my reader. My reader is always up to date but I re-downloaded it any way. Still says it can't find it. Had to download the pdf manually.
Can you help please?
Thanks
Robin Wallace
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

You shouldn't need to copy/paste anything. After opening the Sitemapper program, simply fill in the URL of your website and press enter. It will search your web site and create the structure for your sitemap. Then click on the 'Create Sitemap' button. It should open a window asking you to enter a filename to save the sitemap as...simply enter a name for your map. You're not trying to 'load' anything at this point. Once you enter a filename and click 'Save' your sitemap is saved to disk. Another window will open with the options to 'upload' your sitemap to your server.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 1917809 Photo

12 posts

Ok, I did that but all it picked up was the title on my index page but didn't pick up any of the other pages.
This is all I have got on the sitemap.html page.
Kudah Veterinary Services | Kudah Vet Kelmscott | Kudah Vet Clinic
I have a dhtml drop down menu but that shouldn't make any difference because I have used this before on other sites.
Can you look at the site and see what is wrong. http://www.kudahvetservices.com.au
I also am having problems calling it up with keywords even though it has been submitted to google. Maybe the problems are related.
Thanks
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Robin Wallace wrote:
... I have a dhtml drop down menu but that shouldn't make any difference because I have used this before on other sites.
[....]
I also am having problems calling it up with keywords even though it has been submitted to google. Maybe the problems are related.

Yes, the problems are most likely related. The SiteMapper cannot follow the JavaScript-based menu. The same would go for the search engines of Google, Bing, etc..

You will need to use a menu based on HTML/CSS for the search engines to find your internal links. You could keep your existing menu if you put another one in the footer based on HTML.

You mentioned that you have used the same type of menu on other sites without having these problems. Could you share a link to one of those sites?
User 1917809 Photo

12 posts

Hi
I think you are right that it is the menu. Checked my other site and the site mapper wouldn't do it either. The spiders picked it up I think because it did not have many pages and I had internal links. I couldn't put the dropdown in the footer and don't have enough room for all the pages, but I think I could link the services to another page with the links on it. Will see if it works. Thanks for the help.
User 126492 Photo

Ambassador
1,524 posts

First to get things started, make a manual site map containing links to each page and then upload it to your site.

Next run Sitemapper, it should pick up your pages including the Title and Description tags.

Before uploading the created files, delete the earlier page you uploaded, it is not needed anymore.

Now upload all the files Sitemapper created, then when any SE visit your site they should be able to index you a lot easier.

I know it is a little tedius to start, but that is the downfall of using some types of java menu scripts, though not all.

Where you have the normal text links in the footer at the bottom of the page, put a text link to your site map.

You really only need the site map link on your home page, search engines will find the rest of your pages from there.
Jim
---------------------------

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.