Analysis of sitemapper - Post ID 187681

User 1840400 Photo

17 posts

Sitemapper seems to be a really useful tool for SEO purposes but does anyone actually use it as a search tool? It surprises me that sitemaps are not more widely used on many websites. Is there anyone out there who has a website with a sitemap that is a dominant feature of their site for navigation and search purposes? Just conducting a mini poll to satisfy my curiosity, it seems they are an often forgotten and little used search tool.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Actually I think anyone that does anything for SEO and search engine abilities will be using a sitemap. The difference though is that they may not use the actual site map on their site, but only the .xml file that the search engines need to have submitted to be found on them. There are still quite a few sites that include site maps, but I don't think it's a dominant "visible" thing as much as it used to be, more of an SEO tool now.
User 2292333 Photo

1 post

Many sites still have sitemaps, but they are often quite buried. I personally have moved away from having them as a prominent feature of the site, but still keep the SEO functionality.
User 545929 Photo

8 posts

I've really enjoyed using sitemapper on my website. It took me a while to get used to them.
User 97374 Photo

1 post

Is it important to have a site map?
User 180142 Photo

Ambassador
1,879 posts

David DeBord wrote:

Depends on how big your site is...My Marco site has well over 150 pages and has a site map someplace on it. LOL

If you only 5 pages, then I would say no....but a site map makes navigating much easier, especially if a person is looking for something specific....

Kinda like eggs...but there is no site map for them critters....
User 2212523 Photo

88 posts

David DeBord wrote:

They're only useful if they're kept updated. I've been to so many websites that don't update their site map.

The HTML sitemap helps your users find what they're looking for, and the XML version helps search engines index your website which increases your chances of your website being found on the first page of a search engine search.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.