Using flex in SDV3 - Post ID 284093

User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

All my sites are made from sd3 from scratch. Never published with rsd2 as joined a month before sd3 was released. Thanks
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Inger wrote:
I don't use rows and columns any more.

Thanks Inger for a non web designer I have to really take that into consideration.
Have RFF 2.5 and V3 both opened and trying to see which one is better for me. ?
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Phil Dias wrote:
All my sites are made from sd3 from scratch. Never published with rsd2 as joined a month before sd3 was released. Thanks

Phil you really did a great job on your drive school site, love the menu and keep trying to make what you have and also what Inger made in time hopefully I will make one half way as good ?
Ray aka Kreations
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

I would recommend SD3. Not just because of no rows and columns, but mainly because rsd2.5 has seen no further development since SD3 was first launched last spring. And a lot of new options and possibilities have been added to SD3 since then. You also have the option of designing desktop down if you want, by using the Vanilla framework.
Clearly, in RSD2.5 you have the themes and the components, but it can all be changed to SD3 system if necessary, you only have to ask. ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Inger wrote:
I would recommend SD3. Not just because of no rows and columns, but mainly because rsd2.5 has seen no further development since SD3 was first launched last spring. And a lot of new options and possibilities have been added to SD3 since then. You also have the option of designing desktop down if you want, by using the Vanilla framework.
Clearly, in RSD2.5 you have the themes and the components, but it can all be changed to SD3 system if necessary, you only have to ask. ;)

Thanks Inger and everyone that has taken time to reply to questions!
Okay I will try and muddle with SD3 but before I go to far and get lost in updating from scratch is it possible for you or someone also to look at the sample attached in zip to see if I am on the right track? The flex row is the one I am having problems with and not sure if the footer is correct.

Giving myself 4 weeks to do the change.
Thanks in advance.
Ray aka Kreations
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Inger wrote:

Inger, here is an example of how to use rows and columns in SD3. Its still available to use. Its how Bootstrap works.
Attachments:
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Twinstream, I know those rows and columns are there, but If I have tried using them, I've always ended up ripping it all out and restart with containers. I've never managed to make the rows and columns work in SD3. That may of course tell tales about me rather than the rows and columns, but it doesn't seem to fit my building style.

But thanks for the example, maybe I'll try again, but right now I don't have anything that I'll use BS for.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Inger wrote:
Twinstream, I know those rows and columns are there, but If I have tried using them, I've always ended up ripping it all out and restart with containers. I've never managed to make the rows and columns work in SD3. That may of course tell tales about me rather than the rows and columns, but it doesn't seem to fit my building style.

But thanks for the example, maybe I'll try again, but right now I don't have anything that I'll use BS for.

The rows and column classes are also there for Foundation and Materialize.

If i was not going to use grid layout at all, I would probably just go back to the row and column available. How do you do gap with containers using Flex for layout ? You separate a container into 2 parts by setting the flex to row and the items to 50%. Then what ? margins, padding adjustments. Yuck.

I guess that is what the row and columns do but at least its alot easier to understand I think.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Hehe! that sounds quite OK to me! :P
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 283347 Photo

388 posts

Ray wrote:
mark johnson wrote:

I've gotten to the point where I don't even consider IE...it doesn't support a lot of stuff and it has been replaced by Edge..which still doesn't support a lot of things and that is why they are "retooling" it and will base it off of the same platform that runs Chrome https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-confi … -chromium/

I don' know the answer until it's fixed as it seems it is a toss-up as to what works best as an alternative fallback.

Hi Mark just like I have been told about IE and flex oh well read what u sent looks good hope it does happen I'm still Win 7 and have no desire to change.

Question: I'm rethinking and wondering if good idea to actually use SDV3 now and not worry about how it may not be perfect with Flex in IE?? I do like not having rows and columns in V3.
Have many here made the actual switch yet for design of sites using V3??

I say try out v3...there is a learning curve, so be patient. To be honest, I did not really like it at first, but I am getting the hang of it now.
As far as Win7...extended support (security up-dates) will end 1/14/2020 per Microsoft...so you have a year before you will be exposing yourself to so many more threats of virus and malware,etc. I would recommend up-grading soon so you can get that learning curve out of the way, too.
Much success to you!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.