Tip on adding Facebook Social Icon -...

User 556652 Photo

146 posts

In a post in another thread I stated the following:

I am having another problem now of trying to put a Facebook link onto my page. I have the element there but how do I get that link to go to the Facebook page I want to link to? In Selected Element Properties when I bring up the Element Tree I can select Follow or Share. I just want to send them to the page. Where do I put the URL? If I choose Follow the URL is grayed out. If I choose Share I can enter the URL. All I want to do is send them to the Facebook page. Where can someone look up this kind of information for Site Designer?

Well, this is the answer that I figured out. I won't deal with where to put it or placement etc.
    1. From the "Content tab" drag a "Social Icon" from the "Interaction section" on to your form.
    2. From the "Elements tab" under the "Selected Element Properties tab" in the Social field select "Generic". You can choose Facebook but then it will only allow you to choose "Follow" or "Share" neither will allow you to just send them to the Facebook page desired.
    3. In the "Link" field enter the Facebook URL for the page desired.
    4. In the "Target" field choose "Blank" which will open it in a new tab in the user's browser. Or any target you desire
    5 In the "Source" field choose "Local Icon". Then select the Facebook icon from your resources at the top of the Site Designer screen. Interesting thing is that if you had chosen Facebook instead of Generic in Step 2 above it would have made the icon a Facebook icon.

That's it. Worked like a champ.

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

Thanks for posting this!
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2526084 Photo

65 posts

Lol... wish you'd posted this a week or so ago, would have save me a lot of scratching of my head. As it is your solution sounds similar to how I solved it. Prior to that the Facebook icon would just go to a login page...

I might have posted it myself, but I actually though I was doing something stupid and was happy to have come up with a work around :lol:
User 556652 Photo

146 posts

@Rooky

Yeah, I am struggling with this type of thing all the time. I can find a way to do it with straight HTML but figuring out how to make the drop-ins function is a mystery most of the time for me. You might post your method. IT may be better than mine and others might need it and at least it will give a choice.

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

I've been trying to find a method on how to collect these mini-tutorials, like the ones you, Lwetzel, have made. As it is now, in those 'tips and tricks' threads, the bits of advice are drowning in people asking questions in there. Since I'm more or less 'in the business' of making building blocks, I may perhaps come up with something like an accordion where I put the good stuff into the various dropdowns. Unless someone has a better idea? If we don't collect it, it will soon be lost and forgotten.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 556652 Photo

146 posts

@Inger

Well, I know I do searches and I have been trying to read and view more and more on this site. I know they have done a great effort to explain and document information about creating Responsively and the Grid. But for me, it lacks in just the fundamental aspects as I have stated. What I don't understand is why there isn't a Forum solely for basics or tips and tricks. There is a Thread for Tips and Tricks but it doesn't allow for varied topics themselves and more or less is just a loose discussion.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.