Suggestions for Responsive Site...

User 131545 Photo

687 posts

Hi support

I have that the CC Developers buildin editors for editing, modify, adding, delete HTML5 code, CSS3 code en JS code. and add/remove en delete predefined sections and all the foundation/bootstrap components. I waiting for this
When dus is release the new upgrade major versions of the RSD, RFF en RBB with support cssgrid, flexgrid layout, buildin editors en sections and all the components.
What do the others developers think about buildin editors and sections?

Kind regards
Stephane
Toekomstgerichte door ICT gebeten IT'er
Stephane Fonteyne
Ba. Elektronica - ICT
Application Software PowerBasic Developer
e-mail : stephane.fonteyne@telenet.be
gmail : stephane760126@gmail.com
linkin : in : <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephane-fonteyn/53/402/204>
twitter : @Stefke36
User 2623310 Photo

Ambassador
282 posts

Hi Stephane,

Do you have RSD DE?
User 131545 Photo

687 posts

What is RSD DE?
Toekomstgerichte door ICT gebeten IT'er
Stephane Fonteyne
Ba. Elektronica - ICT
Application Software PowerBasic Developer
e-mail : stephane.fonteyne@telenet.be
gmail : stephane760126@gmail.com
linkin : in : <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephane-fonteyn/53/402/204>
twitter : @Stefke36
User 2394322 Photo

6 posts

In the Settings area, when you select local image for Favicon, any .ico files are not listed. Since you can't write it in, you can't actually attach a favicon.
User 2816828 Photo

23 posts

I've seen a few request for being able to publish to any host. For me what would be an easier and better solution is if when you export it is would only export the files and folders and not a main root folder. Or at least remove the _exported from the folder name when it is exported. On larger more complex projects I have to spend a lot of time moving files around and making sure I don't overwrite anything and then only moving and uploading the new files. I love RSD right up until the project is complete then it becomes a total pain for updating complex websites.
User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

Why is it that so many people are trying to use a tool like RSD, that is obviously designed to build web pages, for building web sites? It seems to me that the name is misleading (Responsive Site Designer),

Whenever I start building a web page with RSD, I usually have already a design (purpose, visuals, usability, interactive elements) and text plus graphics / pictures. RSD helps me to convert the design ingredients into a working web page.

RSD does not help much to (1) create a design and also it does not help to create (2) a real world website. For a serious website (lot of pages and interactivity) you need a Content Management System or at least support for scripting languages and databases (unless you are willing to spend a lot of time on ongoing maintenance).

I have seen many suggestions here (and some are unrealistic) based on - i think - misunderstanding the capabilities and purpose of RSD.

What I would like to see from CoffeeCup staff is some clarification of the long term product strategy and the positioning of their current product portfolio. Right now I have no clear idea of what to expect for the future.

And now, more down to earth, my suggestion:
Why not publish a "dynamic" list with (user) suggestions for RSD, based on this forum thread, and add a status like: Under consideration, rejected, future release, next release, implemented in version x.xx

What do you think?
Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,456 posts

Hennie, I agree to some extent. A list of suggested features would be awsome, but it would only work if some CC staff member would reply to that list and mark them with the suggestions you mention.

In the 'old days' (I've been here since 2005), long before we had any responsive webdesign and programmes for that, the question about a CMS was raised, more than once. The reply then was, that they didn't want to get involved with databases, mySql and php. The reasons for that were, that every server would be different, various php versions and possibly having to provide a database. That would make the HTML Editor (which was the flag ship in those days) much more expensive. I remember I tried to steer them towards a programme called Webuilder, which didn't contain a DB, but when it was installed on a computer and run the first time, you also had to set the path to a php executable. (in other words, you needed WAMP or something similar installed). Coffeecup in those days was all about making user friendly programmes, and the server setup was not regarded as such.

I don't know what CC would answer now, it remains to see if this thread is being answered by some staffer or not. But I know they are busy,

But as to RSD and the other 'R' programmes, I wouldn't say you can't build websites with them. You just have to be realistic about the capacity of the programme. If you want something that is not included among the features, you can in most cases find it on the web and then add it yourself.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 524541 Photo

11 posts

Hennie, Good comments. Somehow it would be nice to shift the goal some more toward site building.
User 2844004 Photo

225 posts

The fact that you can't structure a web site within RSD is quite stunning. All pages are created within the root folder. So if that one could be fixed they'll make a leap forward of about 20 years and catch up. The same goes for resource management or linking to site pages. Why do yo have to insert the links to actual pages the hard way? Why can't I simply update altered resources but do I have to manually 'select and replace' resources? Why can't I simply create a list within a list simply by indenting list items another level? This isn't today's or yesterday's 'technology' ... all this already was possible within Freeway 1 since 1998. We're now in 2018! This is basic functionality.

– Richard
Living in Zevenbergen, the Netherlands
13" MacBook Air M1 + 2x LG 24" IPS QHD / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD / macOS 14.3 Sonoma
User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

I don't have a real problem with RSD, except for maybe the name.
Call it RPB : Responsive Page Builder, great for one-page websites.
It's a matter of managing expectations. Of course you could use RPB to build websites, but you would be on your own (and the Forum members to help) because no expectations raised by its very name.

But that is also why I would like to see some focus from CoffeeCup and learn about their strategic direction. May be it's time to get out of the Coffee Shop where it all started :)

Actually I sympathise with the company (most of us do, I guess) - that is why I buy from them - and of course it's not of my business anyway.

Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.