Site coding issues - Post ID 254628

User 2801813 Photo

2 posts

I am a long time hand coder (longer than I wish to admit) and new to RSD. While I am pleased the product, I have some concerns for building larger sites (more than 3-4 pages).

First, it looks like overall site changes (other than CSS) have to be applied to each and every page. For example, updating or changing headers and footer areas. Adding a new Nav link to the site or updating a phone number or copyright date in a footer requires updating every page. Is there an approach I am missing?

Second, I'm thinking of also purchasing the Menu Builder product. From what I can see, one has to manually paste the menu code into the RSD exported files. That means every time you change the menu or every time you export the RSD site, each page has to be manually edited. Again, is there something I am missing?

I would prefer not to have to split the output into top, bottom and side includes to minimize these type of changes. This approach would certainly decrease the usefulness of the slider to test narrow site displays.

Thoughts and comments are welcome and will be appreciated.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

If your changes are small you are probably best off to change on all pages separately, unless you use the newest version of CC's HTML Editor which you can then split those areas into library items that will update each page for you when you update the library item. I assume it works similar to Dreamwaever library items if you're familiar with that setup.

If you have a whole lot of pages and want todo this in a more structured way, then I would suggest just copying and pasting the element from page to page and deleting the old one one the page. I. Have found that to work fairly well in RLMP as it also doesn't have any possible way to dolibrary or include type setups either. Would love it if they added this to both of these programs.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.