I want try the bootstrap NavBar but...

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Julian, which menu have you been looking at? If you visited my sharing library and looked at some of the demos, I usually say where they come from. If they come from the Bootstrap or Foundation websites, I will have used the classes I found there. If, however, it is something that I have made myself, I may have used my own class names.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2903050 Photo

260 posts

Hi Julian. I too came from Serif Webplus. Good software I thought but CoffeeCup is on a different level.
User 98761 Photo

3 posts

Inger,
I really like the dropdown menu for Bootstrap in the Site Designer 3 column of your sharing page ...
... but can you tell me how to change the background color ? I'd like a royal blue (about the color of the Swedish flag, if you'll forgive me ;)
I tried using the style controls in SD3, with no effect.
Can you help me?
TusenTakk!
MVH
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Hi Chris,
See the attached screen shot. Find the same element in your programme, and then delete the two classes bg-dark and navbar-dark. Then you can style it with your own colours - even with those of the Swedish flag. :lol:
Attachments:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 98761 Photo

3 posts

Hej Inger!
Thanks for your tips on changing the color of your Dropdown menu (BS) for SD3.
I was able to accomplish this, although it is quite more complicated (one must also change quite a few styles of the many components). BUT here's a serious problem: SD3 offers no way to edit or apply href urls to the dropdown text items -- they are not links, and I haven't figured out how to MAKE them links. The workaround I have in mind is to create a page, export it to my server (not S-Drive), then open the page html and edit the menu section directly, creating the links and inserting the urls (and link texts). Then I'd copy this section of html and paste it into every single page of my site. Haven't actually tried this yet, but it's a bit tedious (my site has about 35 pages that I'm converting from Drupal to a Responsive site). Do you have a better idea? Another (related) difficulty is that although I managed to create, store in my Library, and import a SD Component with your menu ... I can't open it to access the dropdown links. It will open if I "Preview on a Browser", but of course I can't edit it there. Any ideas?
Tusen takk for your work and help!!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Hei Chris,

I made that menu from code I found on the Bootstrap website. I will investigate the problems and then get back to you...

Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Phew! I thought there was something wrong with the menu, but it turns out that you need to make yourself a bit more familiar with the programme! ;)
SD does offer a way to edit the dropdowns, and they are indeed links, so no workarounds needed.

Check out the attached images. First img1:
Stay at the lowest breakpoint, so that you have the 'hamburger' style menu, that is the easiest.
1. Open the element tree pane.
2. Uncheck the box
Then you will see all the menu items.
Then Img2:
1. Select a menu item to edit and open the text editor
2. Click on the pen symbol to open the dialog
3. Add the text you want to show, like 'Home', or 'Contact' etc.
4. Remove the # and write the url. External links have to start with http://, internal links can be relatively referenced.
5. Click on Apply.

A tip, so that you don't get into trouble: If you have a link like e.g. Services, with a dropdown with service 1, 2, 3 etc, then don't make any link on the main button, only on the dropdowns.
Attachments:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 98761 Photo

3 posts

By golly, Inger, YOU'RE BRILLIANT! This is infinitely easier than my workaround, which is REALLY tedious.
And you're right that I need to know more about SDv3!
I've been 'studying' it for 5 weeks now, and VERY slowly making progress.
The problem is there are all sorts of secret 'tricks' like this that are NOT mentioned in the User Guide, or at best are briefly alluded to. The Guide is very much a 'work in progress.' This has always been the problem with CoffeeCup's software: it is quite good, but VERY poorly documented.
For example, the procedure for saving Components to one's library (heck, even the EXISTENCE of a library that's hidden deep in an obscure sub-sub-sub-folder on your own computer) is ignored aside from a quick hint of how to do this with S-Drive. And there are evidently rules about how to NAME Components, and how to replace one with a revised version ... but they are among the many, many secrets.
Anyway, this seems to solve my menu problem. So again tusen tusen takk!
BTW, I work at a Lutheran Seminary, and I have a student coming from Norway next week to stay with me for this next term. Should be lots of fun, although he will discover that the fish isn't as fresh here, and the skiing is very poor (but at least we don't have lutefisk).
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

A lot of people have been complaining about the user manuals; where to find them and how exactly to do things. All I can say is, that they have become better. And you are right on the 'work in progress'.

I hope you have now got your menu tweaked the way you want. Glad to be able to help. :)

And good luck with your Norwegian student!
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.