How to cleaning up converted...

User 2719365 Photo

29 posts

Hello experts,

I am upgrading from RSD 1.5 to SD 3 (imported into SD 3 as Foundation) and have a newbie question.

I am old enough to know that when "something" is converted to "something else", their is almost always "left overs".

How to I check my pages/code/css to find out what I need to clean up? How do I find left overs or is their not any need for this in SD3?

Looking forward to your input.

Nils, Sweden
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

SD3 is based on using containers, so you don't need the rows and columns. How you go about it, depends a bit on what you have inside a row; one or more columns. If you have only one, I would delete the one with less styling, usually the row.
If you have several columns, you have to think it through. You can of course also delete the row in that case and rename the 'column-type' ones to something understandable, but if you are like me, who likes having a 'wrapping' container around the whole page, you may want to keep the row and call it 'wrapper' or so. I usually, in RSD2.x, made my sites with one single row and inside it one single column, and then using containers for the contents, so I tend to delete one of those row- or column-type ones and keep the other, usually the one with more styling. But this is up to you.
Mind you, I have told you what I usually do, others may have made other experiences. I know of somebody who finds it easier simply to rebuild the site from scratch.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2719365 Photo

29 posts

Hej Inger,

Sorry if I was to vague in my question since I do not fully understand your answer. I planned to skip rows and columns with Site Designer 3 or am in deep water?

My question was basically if converting from RSD 1.5 to SD will leave any "left overs" and if so how to get rid of them after the convertion.

Regards Nils
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

Hei Nils (Nisse?),

I have never actually converted from RSD1.x to SD3, only from RSD2.x. But I don't think there will be any 'leftovers', other than redundant rows/columns that I mentioned.
Something I don't know for sure is, in case you built your site 'desktop down', if that will cause problems in a 'mobile up' environment. I haven't got any RSD1.x projects to test it with. But I'm sure someone in here will know. (Right now I guess the Americans are just getting up, and they count for the majority of users here. We Europeans will have to struggle through until later this afternoon ;) )
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2719365 Photo

29 posts

Hej Inger,

One of the reason I did upgrade to SD 3 was to make my sites more mobile friendly, than I think could have achieved in RSD 1.5.

So maybe I will have to address it differently than I first thought but today i am still not deep into it again to see what’s up and down :-).

For now I have decided to start experimenting with the CC Grid just to get a feel for it, instead on start converting my existing sites.

Regards Nils

P.S. Yes, my childhood friends call/called me "Nisse" but for the last 45 years it is Nils!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

OK Nils, ;)

I don't think there is much difference between RSD1.x and SD3 when it comes to building mobile friendly sites (about 5 years ago I was using the HTML Editor without any predefined framework for mobile friendliness).

I can't say much about the CC grid system, as I haven't started messing with it yet. But there are other people here who are well into it. Good luck anyway! :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.