component question in V3 - Post ID...

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hello all I apologize if this is not the correct area to ask this if not please move.
Ok in V3 I have been working on a nested menu and just wondering about saving as component and or symbol? Saving as component is no problem but since it is a Nested Menu can I also save it as a symbol? Reason being as time goes by I may want to delete or add a nested text and if a Symbol it should change automatically on all web pages correct? If only a component I would have to manually change on all pages so a Symbol is a time saver.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

You can't save anything as a symbol, meaning you can't upload it to any 'symbol library'. It will have to be saved as a component, and then, when you want to USE it as a symbol, you create it into a symbol for those locations where you want to use it.
A component can be saved so that you can use it in several projects, a symbol can only be pertaining to one project, but you can use the same component and make it a symbol in as many projects as you like.

Addition:
When you want to edit a symbol, you don't edit the component it was based on, but one of the actual instances where that symbol has been used.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Inger wrote:
You can't save anything as a symbol, meaning you can't upload it to any 'symbol library'. It will have to be saved as a component, and then, when you want to USE it as a symbol, you create it into a symbol for those locations where you want to use it.
A component can be saved so that you can use it in several projects, a symbol can only be pertaining to one project, but you can use the same component and make it a symbol in as many projects as you like.

Addition:
When you want to edit a symbol, you don't edit the component it was based on, but one of the actual instances where that symbol has been used.

Thanks Inger for clearing that up, the symbol only for project working on got it! And I understand not to edit component but only where symbol was used - will be a huge time saver when needed.
Thanks again :)
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.