client wants to do website - Post ID...

User 306597 Photo

33 posts

Hi Jerry,

Technically, yes you can remove identifying markers and names, however there is the touchy subject of 'image' or 'reflection' that can get dicy. Although it is not common, there are unfortunately some people in the world that seem quite nice in the beginning that can get unruly out of seemingly nowhere. This is usually in the form of - the color scheme and design of the website *itself* is a reflection of my business and its designs, therefore I don't want you to have any part of the website, even a single page, for use if we break ties.
It is better to be safe than sorry no matter what the circumstance. Having everything in writing protects you and your client in the long run. So if the above situation arises - you have gotten that out of the way in the beginning and you can decide how to proceed.
If you are seriously approaching web design / development / etc. as a serious business, these are things you must look at before you leap. It is better to be cautious than get burned. In this day and age it is quite easy to get seriously burned in the form of big bucks and big losses if you're not careful.
Don't let any of that scare you off. It is pretty simple to keep yourself lined out with just a few simple documents that you make sure to use every single time, keep a hard copy, a local copy, and a copy on the cloud or a backup. Every 3 years or so feel free to purge, but I have all of my records going back about 11-ish years now I think. Just makes me feel better. LOL
Cut and dried things you need:
- NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) For your client and yourself. Protects them and shows them you mean business by protecting their information, privacy, and virtual assets.
- Simple Contract / Terms and Conditions clausal Invoicing. Protects you from any spurious declarations, accusations, etc. if at any time the client discontinues services with you and tries to withhold monies (or worse pursue litigation) for services rendered based on frivolous claims that are clearly covered by your contract / terms.

Like I said it is nothing extravagant or complicated, but I learned my lessons and I got my documentation together. It has saved my behind on two occasions. In one case it was a substantial amount of money so it is well worth the minimal effort. Consider the fact that it has been 20+ years all told and I've only had 3 or 4 bad experiences? That's a pretty good record for a private contractor.

Once you get your name out there and have done enough sites, you will just get residuals and references and be so busy you won't even need to have a shingle up anymore. That is where I'm at. I love being a field tech (repairing printers and computers on-site for small businesses) so I still do that a few hours a week and have my little webpage up for it, the rest of the time I'm cranking out stuff for people I've built up over the years... and the people they keep sending me.

With persistence - we all get there in this industry. Perseverance, never stop learning, and make sure you're having just as much fun as frustration. :)
User 333213 Photo

115 posts

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I just got my first 2 days of vacation in 15 years.... and of course I am on the East coast with a Nor Easter dumping rain followed by the possibility of a category 2 hurricane. I give up! I will never be able to enjoy the outdoors again. Enough with the rant.
Thank you everyone with your helpful advice. It is well appreciated and will be applying many of the suggestions.
10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.... then they release them for another day.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.