Classes behavior? - Post ID 247674

User 2023679 Photo

141 posts

Lets see if I can explain this well: I open a new RSD file. I drag and drop some 3 X 4 photos into 2 separate columns. I set the margins to 'auto' on the first photo to center it, and in doing so, the RSD program automatically gives it a class name of 'image-1'.

I do the same to the second photo (set margins to 'auto') and RSD automatically gives it a class name of 'image-2'. I then go back to the first photo and type in a class named 'shadow-1'. I scroll down to 'Effects' and give this first photo a box shadow. The drop shadow appears on the first photo as expected. So far so good.

I then go to the second photo that so far only has the class name of 'image-2'. I add the class 'shadow-1' to this second photo. The second photo does NOT have a a drop shadow. ??????

So I'm not getting how the classes are supposed to work. What am I doing wrong? If I was just working in the CC HTML Editor, if I create a class for a drop shadow, I can add that class to any other photo element on my page and I will get a drop shadow.

If I do the box shadow class first, and then center the photo or add padding or change the margins, those positioning changes also become part of the box shadow class. Not my intention. I want the box shadow class to only have the box shadow parameters assigned to it.

So I'm not understanding how to create separate classes. Is there a certain sequence or something else I am missing? Seems like it would be easier if you could select just one of the assigned classes and change the parameters to that one class only. I'm not seeing an easy way to do that. I've figured out a work around, but its a bit convoluted.
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

It works fine here on mac version.
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

you are welcome and I guess single class for both element is sufficient and you don't have to assign two time.

see this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U83tLeX6ck
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts

If you look in the Inspector you will see that RSD is assigning the css selector as
.image-1.shadow-1{} If you change the class of image-2 to image-1 shadow-1 it will take on the shadow. What you want to do is set the individual margins on an ID as that's specific to that image only.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2023679 Photo

141 posts

Thanks again Mansour. Yes, I like how RSD remembers the classes and suggests the previously used ones, and you can just select one and it applies it. I'm probably over thinking things. Simple is best! Thanks for the vid!

And thanks to you Eric for the tip on the inspector. That really shows what's going on with what I was doing. Such a great feature (among numerous ingenious features this program has!). Yes, I had noticed that if I changed image-2 to image-1 shadow, it would then take on the shadow. But that's part of what was puzzling me. I sensed it was making kind of a composite class at that rate, and not separate distinct classes. The inspector confirmed that.

I will have to adjust my thinking on workflow with RSD. I will find it very interesting as I peruse the RSD forum to see how others are approaching using multiple classes and such. So much to learn on using this WAY COOL new tool! Things have just been crazy busy here, and I keep trying to find a little time to play with it and learn all that it will do. My hat is off to the ingenious designers of RSD (and RLM). I can't even fathom what is involved in designing a brilliant piece of software of this nature. And they're not even done tweaking it yet!

Thanks again Eric and Mansour!

User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Michael Brose wrote:
My hat is off to the ingenious designers of RSD (and RLM). I can't even fathom what is involved in designing a brilliant piece of software of this nature.

Thanks Michael, we appreciate it :P

Michael Brose wrote:
And they're not even done tweaking it yet!

That's right!

Michael Brose wrote:
Thanks again Eric and Mansour!

+1
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.