Canvas slider handle in SD 4 Build 3054

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

In Windows 10 (fully up to date) the handle at the middle right of the canvas (to change the viewport) frequently disappears when using the Element Tree, and I have found only three ways to make it reappear.
(a) Using the mouse to go up the tree (if necessary using the mouse scroll wheel or the scroll bar of the tree) to the Body element and then clicking on Styles or Content (my preferred method).
(b) Using the mouse to go up the tree to the Body element, leaving it hovering there, and pressing Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2 on the keyboard; it works, but it means letting go of the mouse, and is therefore not really useful.
(c) If one is not concerned about losing focus on a selected element, double-clicking on the Body element in the Element Tree (which takes you to Styles).

The above methods work in all frameworks except Bootstrap 3.

Three questions arise -
1. Does this matter affect also the OS X version of Site Designer 4?
2. Is there another method of getting back the lost handle?
3. Is there a way of preventing the handle from disappearing?

Frank
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

A slightly quicker way of doing (a) in the previous post is to click on 'Collapse All Nodes' to save scrolling.

Frank
User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

Could not reproduce the disappearance of the handle in OSX (and I tried hard :/ )

By the way: while browsing the element tree trying to reproduce the handle error, it occurred to me that it is still difficult to change things, if the element is hidden.
An option to show the element (or the parent element) in a pop-up window for editing would be nice.
Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Hennie wrote:
Could not reproduce the disappearance of the handle in OSX (and I tried hard :/ )

Thanks for that. I think the CoffeeCup team may therefore be unaware of this matter, and I intend tomorrow to make a scrrencast of what happens for me in Windows 10 for inclusion in a report to the team.

I agree your last paragraph. It needs something like the eye icon that appears for items which are display:none.

Frank

User 2093190 Photo

115 posts

I have the same problem with the handle under Windows 10. He comes and goes. But I have not found a unique situation in which this effect occurs.
puncto – grafik & marketing
D - 69126 Heidelberg
https://www.puncto.info
Actually you´ll find my work here: https://puncto.coffeecup.com/
User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

Uwe Schmitt wrote:
I have the same problem with the handle under Windows 10. He comes and goes. But I have not found a unique situation in which this effect occurs.

I'm glad that it's not unique to my computer (e.g. a clash with some other software I use). Although I too haven't found a unique situation for the effect, I've never experienced it, as far as I know, other than when accessing the Element Tree.

Frank
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Frank,
Are you talking about the slider 'handle'?
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I've had that issue ever since that handle was included. I also reported it to Bob, must have been over a year ago, but at the same time I reported some other issues that obviously were more important, so this one was forgotten.
I made a wee video of how I see this problem. Mind you, I have the last 3.5 version installed at the moment because I'm helping someone who hasn't yet upgraded. I haven't checked this in version 4 yet.

What Hennie says, that it is not an issue on a Mac, is new to me. But that might explain why it was forgotten after I reported it.
Attachments:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

OK, now I see what everyone is talking about. If I open a new project (in Foundation) that handle is there and I can replicate what Inger has in her video.

If I open an existing project the handle just isn't there.

I've always just used the white slider tab up top to change the size.

I'll crawl back into my cave now. :)
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

What Hennie says, that it is not an issue on a Mac, is new to me. But that might explain why it was forgotten after I reported it.

Just double checked on my Mac:
New project using foundation; mimicked the video of Inger; added container to body, opened elements pane, moved over container element....
No problem whatsoever.

I don't have SD installed on my Windows computer but I guess I would run into the same problem as you guys.
Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.