Misleading? I think it is - Post ID...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yeah unfortunately they are 2 different programs, but you do have the right idea in that the Pro is mainly more features. The difference is how they are coded and work and they therefore cannot upgrade as an upgrade normally would, they are separate entities all together and you can even have them both installed on your computer at the same time. That will help if you have a live shop you are still running. You can still update the live shop with the Basic while you are getting the pro shop ready.

It's easy to take your shop to the Pro version also. Create a directory on your computer that you want to use for your new Pro shop... Open the Basic and do a Save As... Give it a new name and save it into the new folder you just created.

That's it you're ready to start updating it. This way you don't have to worry about the old file and you have a complete backup of it at the same time.

Do also remember that the Basic themes will not work with the Pro version so you'll need to either use a theme that is included with the Pro version or you'll need to purchase the Pro version of the Designer to upgrade the theme you are currently using.
User 514943 Photo

125 posts

DJ, I have worked with Coffee Cup for a bit now. Overall I like them alot. As far as the shopping cart, what I am really needing is the download automatic link. I just purchased the basic cart. Thinking $49.00 is cheaper than that of E-Junkie. My work around will be using CC web access manager. I will upload my files to a folder on the web and use the web access manager to "lock" that folder. Manually email the link for the file to customer upon payment receipt. A bit backwards but until the cart is producing a desired income, this will work for me. There are several "free" shopping carts available out there, but it requires learning a new program- which I do not have the time. At least with CC products, I can get up and running quick with results I like.

Just my two cents.........

PS- DJ I too (even though CC offers trials) would really like the option to upgrade for the difference!
Love those Nikon's!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

hiya Nikon,

Just a thought that you should be aware of. Using WAM to protect your site or pages is great, but it's not protection for your files at all. Because the login isn't actually a "login" to an account, there is no information that is at risk for the user and they can very easily share that login and password with anyone without any risk to them. Most company sites that sell downloadables have a login system that requires the user to put in their personal information as well as many times a payment option (credit card, etc.). This is usually a good deterent for them to share the passwords and such. With your setup all they need to do is pass around the login and password and anyone and anybody can use it and download the programs you have released to the buyers.

Even though I'm sure they can just as easily share the items they downloaded if you have no protection on them, it's more bothersome than giving out an id and password is. Just something to keep in mind.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

I think most carts have some security system in place where downloaded products are protected by a masked url or one that expires. Otherwise, people will be passing around the link like misinformation on the CNN blog.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I agree Tom, most carts that have download systems built in are protected, but I'm guessing from the way he posted, that he's making a separate page of his site to hold the download and protecting it. If that's the case then there's no masking at all involved. He's planning to use SCC which has no download products setup built into it ... yet ... so there's no protection there for the links yet.
User 514943 Photo

125 posts

I actually thought of that after my post. Thinking WAM has the password expiration. If I go to all of that work, It would be just more simple to email the zip file after purchase. Thanks for the thoughts!
Love those Nikon's!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.