VSD as index for shop - my memory is...

User 1970050 Photo

151 posts

I had a VSD designed page as my home page for my shop and it worked correctly, by going there when you first log in. I changed my mind and screwed up a few things so I deleted everything from my server for that site. I changed my mind again :rolleyes: and made another VSD page for the home page. I have uploaded this page and the shop separately. (was this correct?) The home page is 'index.html', but when I open the site now it goes to my shop home page instead of the VSD homepage. I've changed settings etc., but can't seem to make it open where I want. If I put in marilynweil.com/index.html it opens where I want it to. I can't remember what changes I need to make.... Can anyone help? (getting old is no fun :/ )
Marilyn near Las Vegas

www.marilynweil.com - VSD, CCD pro, SCC pro
www.elioness.com (web graphics)
www.mdweil.com (travel photos)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

The problem is you uploaded your shop and website to the same folder. This means you then have an index.html and an index.php file in the same directory. A web server will always serve the index.php file first and if that is not there, it will serve the index.html page

What you need to do is move your shop to a shop folder and then you can upload your website back to the root folder of your server.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,196 posts

So what Scott is telling you to do is to alter the remote folder for your server settings in SCCP.:)

example
/public_html/shop/
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

A web server will always serve the index.php file first and if that is not there, it will serve the index.html page.

That is not always the case. The sys admin can configure the web server to handle these files in the order of their choosing. I created an intro page for a gaming clan using PHP Nuke. It uses the index.html as the intro page that automatically lands on the index.php page after the flash movie has played.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Yes, they can do that. Most of the time on a shared hosting server, that cannot be done. You can also do that with htaccess if this cannot be handled at the server level.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1970050 Photo

151 posts

Thanks Scott and Eric. Will give it a try.
Marilyn near Las Vegas

www.marilynweil.com - VSD, CCD pro, SCC pro
www.elioness.com (web graphics)
www.mdweil.com (travel photos)
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
A web server will always serve the index.php file first and if that is not there, it will serve the index.html page

I've only ever had one hosting account where that was the case. In all the others it has looked the for html page in preference to the php page. That's on both European and US servers, so Tom must be right that the system admin can configure the server to prioritise file types.

Many folks build and develop online shops on live web space and put a html holding page in there so the site is not picked up by search engines before it is finished.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

I have seen the index preference in IIS when I toyed around with it. I remember removing default.html and default.htm from the list. I'm sure I can find it on my Apache server too.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.