Turning shipping on? - Post ID 146330

User 193638 Photo

557 posts

I understand the settings in Shop Setup (your shop); basically choosing between manual and weight based shipping. But how do you turn shipping on in the program? In the main window of the "Product List" tab, on the far right side under the "Basic Info" tab you can see "Optional Charges". There are basically 3 items concerning shipping: "Shipping", "Handling", and "Apply Default". I could not find anything in the manual to cover these options.

If I have my setup set to "Weight" method of shipping, what do I enter, if anything, in these boxes?
If I want to use the weight method, do I check the box "Apply Default"? And if so, why can I no longer choose to put a "Handling" fee on the product?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Steven,

When you set up your shipping in the setup that turns it on, there's nothing else other than setting up your shipping prices and weights etc. that you need to do to turn it on. The optional area you're seeing is if you have a special product that you need to override the default shipping with. In most cases the default will be what you use, and the default should already be checked for you automatically in that area. If you need to override it you would uncheck that default box and then tell it what shipping setup to use for that product. Sometimes an item just doesn't fit into any of the default profiles, maybe it's way larger than basic items or way lighter and that type of thing so you need to give it adjustments there.

I haven't used that setup for the optional shipping area so I might not have it exactly explained right, but that's the basic idea of it so you should be good to go :)
User 193638 Photo

557 posts

Thank you Jo Ann.
I was afraid that was the way it worked. It seems a little "limiting" to me.

If you use the "default", this sets your shipping to your choice in "Your Shop" (weight or manual). From what I am reading in this forum, most people are using "by weight".

But which ever one you use, for some reason, the choices are based on charges for each product separately. In other words, if you want to add a handling fee, it has to be added PER product, not added to the order as a whole (one charge). Why would you want a separate handling charge for EACH product? Especially when someone orders 5 or 6 things and you put them in the same box. There is only one box, therefore, one handling fee, right? If you set the handling fee to be $1.00 per item, thinking that if someone orders several items it will add up and actually cover the handling. But if they only order the one thing, then you only got $1.00 for all that handling. On the other hand, if you put a $5.00 handling fee on one item, if they order 5 of them then their handling becomes $25.00, way too much!!

I understand that I could add a little bit to the weight or the price of each product to help cover handling, but that puts you right back to the same problem; if someone orders more than one, this charge could become excessive to the point that the order is too expensive and they will go elsewhere to buy.

Why not have the option to add this handling fee per item OR per order? Give us the choice. The way it is now, we are forced to do it per item or not at all.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.