HTML insert of image - Post ID 144576

User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Steven Alford wrote:
Jewelcraft wrote:
cheep as chips £8.00 per year $12

http://www.hostbig.com/affordable_web_hosting.php

This one really looks good. Even choosing there most expensive is only $88 per year, everything unlimited.

Has anyone used this one?

No but i cant find any SERIOUSLY bad feedback anywhere, worth £8.00 for 12 months while you are waiting for S drive, and a useful backup incase S drive has teething problems

Viv
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 193638 Photo

557 posts

Actually did some research, I would consider them the worst possible web host. There are very few reviews and those that I did find had absolutely nothing good to say about them. They are ranked #2,356.
User 450665 Photo

187 posts

Steven, perhaps you already have free web space available on the account you access the web with? Various hosts I've used offer some with a basic access account. For instance shaw.ca accounts offer up to 10 email accounts, and each of those can have up to 20megs of web space. Some folks don't realize the space is available as you have to go into your account and turn on web hosting for the email accounts. The URL is usually a subdomain type (ie: .whateverserver.com/whateveraccount), so I'd use a proper hosting account and domain name for your real store, but they are great folders for testing purposes.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

There is no such thing as unlimited. Hard drives have a hard limit. And bandwidth costs hosts a pretty penny. So they limit what you can not do to use too bandwidth. What hosts don't advertise is the limitation placed on inodes and mysql connections.

Their TOS states that while your using all this unlimited resources, you are prohibited from lots of bandwidth hogging activities and if you hog more than a certain percentage of CPU and RAM resources on the server for more than a set amount of time, you get the boot for TOS violation.

They offer unlimited because in reality, most sites will use a bare minimum. Those who seriously take them up on the offer, get the boot. But what do you expect for $5 - $10 a month?

What cracks me up is the Professional Web Host who offers unlimited storage for $18 a month on the VPS when the company that owns and rents out the VPS offers their top tier VPS for $170 a month with a 160GB disk space limitation, and also has a 1500GB transfer limit. To make matters worse, there is no TOS to abide by.

Maybe I'll rent it for a couple of months for that $18, fill up the entire disk quota, and stream video all day and night until the monthly transfer has been exhausted, and let him foot the other $152. :lol:
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Bluehost.com recently put something in place called cpu throttling

To my horror, i got messages telling me i was nearing my limit all the time

So there unlimited, is now more a case of restricted, i dont have huge websites, but my main website does get 400 or so visitors per week, and most of them visit lots of pages

However 100% fantastic support, in 4 years i have only once noticed my website was down (sure there have probably been others) and i was a total newbie and they talked me through every proccess in the early stages, even on skype to them once from uk for two hours

Guess you get what you pay for
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.