Theme diplays differently in IE 9 -...

User 2038862 Photo

7 posts

I liked the clean look of the Fresco theme and as a quick start, I altered it only minimally for my site. Now I realized it displays differently in Internet Explorer 9 than in Chrome or Safari.

In Chrome and Safari, the Main page background is all white and the Page Background is a small png graphic that forms the side boarders. While in IE 9, this background graphic forms a small row that cuts across the page just below the Page Title and interrupts the main pages white background.

Is there an change I can make in Designer to make it look similar in IE 9 and Chrome? I have tried increasing and decreasing padding and margins around this anomoly but I might have missed something.

I understand the struggle to get your page to look the same in all browsers is as old as the Mozaic Web Browser.
User 2038862 Photo

7 posts

To make the difference clearer I will post screen images of both the web browser displays.
Attachments:
User 2038862 Photo

7 posts

I decided the best way to quickly test the shopping cart and themes was to create a local server as a sandbox to play in and solve this problem as well as work on other theme changes.

What do you you know, but the Fresco theme displays just fine on both IE9 and Chrome when the site is running on my local server (XAMPP).

But has the above problems when I access the shopping cart from my site on FatCow.

There must be something set in my localhost's PHP.ini file that is different from FatCow's configuration.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks,
Keith
User 2038862 Photo

7 posts

No thoughts?
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts

Boog86, This is bound to happen. Take a look at any site with the 4 or 5 common browsers out there and they all appear slightly different. Let alone looking at the webpage with older and newer versions of the same browser. I've been working on a site with HTML5 and CSS3 and IE9 is the only one that shows any serious deviation from what I expected. "IE10 Preview" is pretty much the same as Opera, FX,Chrome and Safari so this tells me that when IE 10 comes out most of the issues should be fixed. You'll never get them all to display exactly the same. Do your best to get it as close to the same as possible and realize that 99.99999 % of the users out there aren't going to browse to your site with two different browsers at the same time to compare how it displays.:)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.