Menu Operations - Post ID 140780

User 2137031 Photo

37 posts

I am not sure at this point if this would be a function of designer pro or SCC Pro.

Is there a way to modify how the menu looks/functions in an existing theme?

Currently in the shop that I am building, I have categories and sub-categories...many of them. Right now it looks like i have a menu with all the categories and sub categories listed right below them. This gets to be confusing. And when I get all of the categories (10 - 15 at a minimum) followed by sub categories (up to 7 or 8 below each) this could make for an extremely long page just to display all the categories and sub categories.

I would much rather have just a list of the categories in the left navigation and the sub categories either on a pop-out menu when the category is hovered over, or, at least only display the sub-categories when I get to the category main page.

I know I have seen a similar discussion on one of the forums somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Is it possible to do this? Designer or SCC?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Any changes you want to make with the overall look and feel of the shop is handled in Shopping Cart Designer.

When in Designer, you can choose a theme that has a TOP, LEFT or RIGHT navigation layout. From there you then style the colors, fonts and sizes. Some functionality is still hard-coded on the back end, but for the most part you can customize most things.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Mark,

I "think" there is a theme (or maybe more but only so far have heard of one) that has the vertical menu with dropdowns or fly outs however you look at it. But most of the vertical ones end up like you are saying above, they show all the categories. I'm hoping that in the future these themes will be updated to not do that, but I am not sure if they plan that or not.

I do know that many of the Horizontal menus do dropdowns with flyouts for the subcategories so you may want to try a theme with a horizontal menu instead. Bout the best you can do for now I believe.
User 2137031 Photo

37 posts

Do I have to change the whole theme just to get these fly out menus? Still trying to get a grasp on the theme concept.

I started with some basic theme and then modified it considerably. If I try to incorporate a new theme, do I basically have to start all over again? New products, new images, etc??
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Mark Roberts wrote:
Do I have to change the whole theme just to get these fly out menus? Still trying to get a grasp on the theme concept.

I started with some basic theme and then modified it considerably. If I try to incorporate a new theme, do I basically have to start all over again? New products, new images, etc??

Yes, you would need to start over. There is no way at this time to apply a different theme to an existing design.

Sorry....
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

ouch, yeah I don't know of any way you can export your changes and since every theme is very differently setup there's really no way to do it other than starting over. I don't think there's any way to change the type of menu that's inside the theme, but I could be wrong here and hopefully someone else will come forth and let us know.

I do think you'll end up having to redo it if you change themes though, so I guess think about what you want more and go for it if someone doesn't come say there's a way to change the menu and how to do it.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

oh looks like Scott beat me to it ans answered our question... bummer.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.