Help tweaking please - Post ID 206186

User 499243 Photo

11 posts

Hi, I have made my shop, and it's just not quite right, almost but not looking brilliant, and I have done so many tweaks, that I have lost count.

I need some help desperately, especially as I am about to add a heap of new products. All help gratefully accepted.

You will know exactly what I mean when you view the actual site against the store :(

http://sewingbuddies.com/shop/

Thank you

Juanita

User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

If you have a copy of VSD (or a free trial) you can make a mock up of your homepage fairly easily. and convert the text to alternative text (image)

But first put a background in a fraction taller than the entire page using your coloured background as an image.

Then preview it

Then save for web (grab bottom of overlapping background)

take a jpeg of the page and split it into three, header footer center

put the header in as the logo

and footer in as footer

center as center

I used blank template from SCCP for my delorean site as a starting template, and i had to create those dummy buttons in the cart to try to get mine too sort of match

Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 499243 Photo

11 posts

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually thought about doing that, but because of the seo thingy, you lose a lot of the search engine functions because images can't be searched so I am really reluctant to do that.

Through my working my way through Coffee Cup, yours is one of the sites, I have often gone to for inspiration, and the (how did he do that). You have really helped my website skills grow a lot and thank you :)

Scott suggested I place a project on here to fix my store for a fee, and I think probably that would be the way to go.

Thanks

Juanita
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

As you will only be using the images as header and footer, it wont affect your SEO at all.

I will go so far as to say my delorean site proves that, i get page 1 ranking for my SCCP shop for every search i wanted, and no 1 ranking for most.

try these as a test

masonic signet rings
9ct signet ring
crest engraving
past masters ring
lion crest engraving
griffon crest engraving

with SCCP i can even force a category page to appear, just before xmas i wanted to promote a 29.99 silver masonic ring

silver masonic ring

page design pays a small part in seo,
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement

User 499243 Photo

11 posts

Didn't realise that, thank you. Am about to try what you suggested :)

The help received from users of Coffee Cup Software is amazing, and very much appreciated

Thank you
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

If you get really stuck, add the images that make up your home page together and email them to me, i can probably do a mock up in ten minutes, and return them split into three.

But its more fun doing it yourself

and at a later date once mastered its a usefull trick for changing pages at xmas, summer, winter etc.

? why not have your shop in vsd then its easier to manage , re design at will

User 499243 Photo

11 posts

My first website was done with vsd, and it would never have gone live without it :). But I could never get the really great finish that everyone else seems to get with theirs. It just looked like some-one who didn't know how to build a website built it. hehehehe, in reality I didn't. So I decided to bite the bullet and teach myself how to use an editor and css. Started with a template, and crunched away from there.

But right about now, I really wish I was still vsd, I am in the process of adding about 30 new lines to the store. And all of them, something that needs explanation and unique to quilting and sewing. Gone from blonde to gray in the last week :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your offer, I am actually working on it, and I hope to have the mock up finished before I head to bed tonight. And it will make it so much easier for me to change the shopping cart.

Will keep you posted on how I am progressing.

Thank you so much

Juanita
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

I bet if it was VSD built, with a bit of tinkering you would get worldwide page ranking

Currently in UK i can only find your site if i put Australia into the search, so if you are planning world wide export that dummy site you are making could be very useful

Be interesting to see how you get on

I had the same experience with all my earlier attempts with VSD, then one day something just clicked into place I think its just that at the end of the day its a tool for amatuers, which in the right hands starts to look professional.

Good luck

User 499243 Photo

11 posts

Your right about my seo, its just not there, currently working on that problem also. Probably my biggest problem with VSD is I can't use the sliders etc (I probably could if I tried hard enough). And I must admit I love being able to make global changes to certain areas, like my navigation etc, and not have to tweak every page in the site. Having said that, working back with VSD yesterday, it is just so easy.

Still plugging away with VSD hehehe, maybe by lunchtime.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.