Mail Forwarding Problems with CNAME...

User 2059224 Photo

72 posts

Hi,

I am having a problem having my email forwarded via 1and1. I have changed the CNAME of my domains to direct to my S-Stream as instructed and all works fine. But when I attempt to forward the contact email from my domain registrar (1and1) to go from my website link to another email it comes up as undeliverable.

It worked fine when I had 1and1 as my Host Provider.

CC says the problem is with 1and1. 1and1 says the problem is with CC.

I am waiting for a final verdict but I can't believe it should be so problematic.

Does any one else use 1and1 for their domains? Has any one else had any problem forwarding the sites and email? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

We talked about this in support, so I will just make note of that here. We do not do anything in regards to e-mail. When you CNAME your domain over to us, all you are doing is pointing www.domain.com to domain.coffeecup.com You should not have to update any of your MX records.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2059224 Photo

72 posts

I understand that. Doesn't anybody else use 1and1? CC gives instructions on transferring from 1and1 in the S-Stream guide. I followed the instructions exactly and I am having this problem. All I am looking for is a bit of guidance. Possibly from someone else who moved their account over from 1and1. I didn't touch the MX record. I have no idea what an MX record is. Maybe I did it wrong. I don't know. It worked before the transfer. I have emails into 1and1 as well and everything so far results in finger pointing. Just looking for guidance from someone who might also be using 1and1 for domain registration. That's all I'm sayin'.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

I'm guessing you did something wrong. Point your domains back to 1and1 and have their support point your CNAME to CC. The 1and1 DNS control panel sucks. Better to transfer your domains to NameCheap if your not hosting with 1and1.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Uhm... Wouldn't you HAVE to have an account with 1and1 in order to have e-mail service through them? If you cancelled your server subscription, and pointed your domain to your S-Drive, I would think that your e-mail service would have been cancelled as well... If so, you will need to obtain another e-mail service, either paid or unpaid (gmail, yahoo, etc...). I don't know if 1and1 sells e-mail ONLY subscriptions, I know I have seen SOME service providers over the years that do.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

You get email with 1and1 domains.
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Tom wrote:
You get email with 1and1 domains.

Stating or asking that Tom?

I'm too tired to try to guess :P
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Stating. :)
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Ok then... :D Yeah I knew that, but since he said he "used" to have 1and1 as his "Host Provider" I'm thinking that he cancelled his service (or let it expire), in which case they would have killed off his e-mail service as well. Just a thought.
User 2059224 Photo

72 posts

Hi All. Thanks for the tips.

I'm still doing my best with this problem. The 1and1 accounts all include email. Just triple checked and they are active. I deleted all Email Forwarding instructions and pointed them to the 1and1 webmail but there is some kind of glitch with the DNS Forwarding. It won't allow emails to go through.

I will try and point the Domains back to 1and1 and have them do it for me as you suggested, Tom. I've got a number of domain names but I've put so much time into my websites and getting my Contributors up on CC that I guess I am committed (or I oughta be.) :/

1and1 platforms have always been a bit obtuse. This is complicated by their Tech Center being on Cebu Island in the Philippines. (I talked at length to one of the technicians during a problem once.) Maybe I should simply switch to Cheap Names. Would this make the email forwarding any easier? At least there would be someone on this Forum who has experience doing the setup.

I'm waiting for 1and1 to respond so I will know more later.

Thanks,
Greg

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.