CNAME question... - Post ID 158825

User 2218809 Photo

5 posts

Hi, I am new to S-Drive but enjoying what it can when usd with VSD.

I have a question about setting up CNAME records.

I have a domain name registered redbanjo.co.uk and have set up a CNAME record so that now if I type redbanjo.co.uk it takes me to my S-Drive site, but if I type the www. it still goes to the original holding page and not my S-Drive.

So my question is if I enter www.redbanjo.co.uk as another CNAME record would that sort the problem out.

Hope that makes sense.

Lewis.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

You can point as many domains over to your S-Drive account that you like. You just need to setup both www.redbanjo.co.uk and redbanjo.co.uk to point to your *.coffeecup.com account. Some hosting services even allow you to do a wildcard and send all *.redbanjo.co.uk to a single location.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2218809 Photo

5 posts

Hi Scott,

That's great to hear, I will set up the www. CNAME in minute, but it can take a while for it to become active.

Thanks,
Lewis
User 2218809 Photo

5 posts

Ok Scott, following on from my last post...

I have set up both www.redbanjo.co.uk and redbanjo.co.uk to point to redbanjo.coffeecup.com
Now, depending on what domain I use on my Dashboard, one or the other will work eg. if my Dashboard uses the www.redbanjo.co.uk then that will take me to my site and redbanjo.co.uk will take me to the There's nothing here yet page, and it works the other way round too.

Am I missing a step out?

Thanks,
Lewis.

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Lewis Barton wrote:
Ok Scott, following on from my last post...

I have set up both www.redbanjo.co.uk and redbanjo.co.uk to point to redbanjo.coffeecup.com
Now, depending on what domain I use on my Dashboard, one or the other will work eg. if my Dashboard uses the www.redbanjo.co.uk then that will take me to my site and redbanjo.co.uk will take me to the There's nothing here yet page, and it works the other way round too.

Am I missing a step out?

Thanks,
Lewis.

The only DNS you setup correctly was for www.redbanjo.co.uk. You have not setup redbanjo.co.uk with a CNAME to your redbanjo.coffeecup.com. I updated your account for you so if you go to www.redbanjo.co.uk it now loads your website.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2218809 Photo

5 posts

Thanks Scott.

Phew! It really has stumped me. *cries into his sleeve* I want to go back to HTML Editor - back to my comfort zone. :)

Anyway, I am a little confused now. From my understanding, if I have two CNAME records one for www.redbanjo.co.uk and one for redbanjo.co.uk and as long as they both point to redbanjo.coffeecup.com then my visitors (when I am finally ready for them) can use either to reach my site. I have attached a screenshot of the easily DNS management screen for you to look at.

OK.

I use easily.co.uk for my domain registrar and I have setup two CNAME records with, it appears, no problem. However with what you have said to me I am still in the same situation. From the change you have made to my dashboard my visitors have to use the www. prefix to get to my site because if they don't it goes to your holding page.

So I have either totally misunderstood the concepts of CNAME or the registrar does not follow the proper usage of CNAME records.

Either way it does not really matter. I would imagine most users still type in the www. prefix on a url anyway. It is just a little worrying that if a visitor DOES NOT use the prefix then they will not see anything.

What do you think is going on?

Lewis - aged 20 years in a day - Barton.
Attachments:
User 3 Photo

Administrator
1,371 posts

Lewis Barton wrote:
Anyway, I am a little confused now. From my understanding, if I have two CNAME records one for www.redbanjo.co.uk and one for redbanjo.co.uk and as long as they both point to redbanjo.coffeecup.com then my visitors (when I am finally ready for them) can use either to reach my site.

Hi Lewis,

There are a few ways to go about this. First let's figure out what URL you want to appear in the address bar of the browser when people visit your site. Should that be www.redbanjo.co.uk or redbanjo.co.uk? Once you decide, you should CNAME the primary name to S-Drive, and the secondary name to the primary one. Like so:

CNAME www.redbanjo.co.uk -> redbanjo.co.uk
CNAME redbanjo.co.uk -> redbanjo.coffeecup.com

This results in a request for www.redbanjo.co.uk to go to redbanjo.co.uk, which then goes to S-Drive. Make sense?

-- or --

CNAME redbanjo.co.uk -> www.redbanjo.co.uk
CNAME www.redbanjo.co.uk -> redbanjo.coffeecup.com

This results in a request for redbanjo.co.uk to go to www.redbanjo.co.uk, which then goes to S-Drive. Make sense?

The reason we recommend this is that having the same content available on two URLs is considered bad practice and could negatively impact your search rankings (assuming you care about that kind of thing :))
User 2218809 Photo

5 posts

Hi J, and thanks.

Yes that makes sense - so I had got my CNAME's set up wrong!

OK, think I will go for the second option.

So if a customer types EITHER CNAME then it will go to my site - yes?

I have changed the CNAME details and included a new snapshot for you to look at.

Thanks so much (again)

Lewis
Attachments:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.