domain name and alias question - Post...

User 2359461 Photo

34 posts

I am planning on purchasing a domain name soon. I am wondering if we use the initials of the store as the domain name ( because it would be to long otherwise) could we use an alias or link the full name to the shorten domain name. I was wondering if this would work? That way if people do not remember the short version it would work either way. I already checked and the short version and long version are both available but do not want to purchase 2 different names as money is an issue
Thank you for your assistance
T.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

That really comes down to a personal preference on what you want to do T. If you purchase domain.com for example, you would have your website resolve to that and then your shop would go to domain.com/shop If you are on a paid S-Drive plan, you could then create an additional domain alias and have something like shop.domain.com work as well.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2359461 Photo

34 posts

Thanks for the reply Here is a sample of what I was thinking. It may not be possible I am just wondering if the website was (just a sample idea) best store around and the domain was bsa.com
could an alias or link be best store around or would a separate domain name be purchased for that to work. This would be on a paid S-Drive plan the webbie plan .
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

From what you are describing, you would need to purchase both domains. However both domains can point to the same website.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2359461 Photo

34 posts

Thanks I was hoping the other way would work as that would save money. We will have to think if we want to buy 2 or not Since the webbie plan has only 3 web address available I am not sure if that is the way to go. Will have the think about the options and decide what is best for our situation.
I appreciate your assistance in understanding this as this is will be the first website with a paid domain name .
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

T. Brown wrote:

this is will be the first website with a paid domain name .

Sounds like you have been on hosting with a subdomain yourdomain.coffeecup.com (example)

when you set up your webbie account CC will produce one of those again automatically !

Take advantage of that, BUT IT WILL BE HIDDEN !

I am making this point because in the future when SEO is an issue your domain name is part of the equasion

If you are selling record players, the domain name record_players.com/shop is helpful

Likewise if you name pages well, you end up with record_players.com/turntable.html even more google friendly

Or : record_players.com/spares.html

However if you ask CC to add RP.com as well you can tell clients your address is rp.com so its short, and they will see record_players.com in the address bar when the page appears.

Further down the line (worth thinking about it now though) you want an email address to match, so worth buying RP.org or .net or .us ETC so you can have enquiries@rp.net or as i do 2enquire@rp.net

Last thing, when your at no.1 ranking in google, anticipate someone buying record_players.uk .og .net . .us .me .org .etc etc, so if a clients makes a typo they get your client sent to them.

want cheep domains check out domainmonster.com BUT BUY YOUR MAIN ONE FROM CC first
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.