Suggestions for CoffeeCup Layout...

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Mark,
In building Responsive sites, there's the "site" you build before the site – that is, the structure or framework that allows the site to adapt/respond, and then the finished website itself... content, images, functionality, etc. that exist within that framework.

RLM provides an easy way to create the framework....no need for SASS, LESS, preprocessors, Node.JS......If you've got a good understanding of HTML/CSS and Media Queries, you can quickly build your site's responsive structure.

There are some users on here who have gone straight from using CC's WYSIWYG site creator to RLM and have got responsive sites up and running now without having to first learn Bootstrap, Skeleton, Foundation, etc. or a lick of SASS. ;)

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 334618 Photo

23 posts

I own and have used all three of your web programs, Visual Site Designer, Responsive Layout and HTML editor.

There are some excellent features in all, and taking the best from VSD,
most of all, what I would LOVE to see in RLM, is a true "Visual Site Design in Responsive"

For example, I don't want to have to calculate the ratio's of my images. I do all my imaging in GIMP or photoshop, and would like to simply plug in my images like I do in VSD, place them next to each other or wherever I want them on the page, and your program would automatically calculate their ratios to each other and percentages.

Instead of having the slider, do some auto breaks on Desktop, phone or tablet mode, then ask the user to tweak it if there are any problems. I'd like the option to click a simple "lock" feature to lock pictures together if we want them to stay side-by-side and scale down together, or leave them unlocked so that they rearrange under each other as the display size gets smaller.

In other words, as an artist I love the simplicity of the VSD system. I draw my website idea on paper, then do the images, then upload them to VSD, and add the text last. I do any additional tweaking in HTML editor or notepad. I do not know CSS and do not want to have to learn any kind of advanced programming. I wish we could just check a box to make our images and text in percentages rather than pixels in VSD, and let your program do the calculations to the best approximate value as to the number of columns or ratios or whatever that such a design would need to work responsively.

I like the option in VSD and HTML editor when we are immediately given the option of setting a page background color, link default color, and so forth as soon as you open a new file. I do not see that option in RLM nor do I know how to set a page background color in CSS.

For example, to me the ideal setup would be as follows. I would open up Responsive VSD and it would ask me the basics such as page background color, link colors and so forth.

Text options would include font, relative size, and layering over pictures, and bring forward/back.

Next I would have the option to start uploading pictures to it. Once I've uploaded the pictures it would ask me, do you want these pictures to stretch to the edges of the page? Or stay more or less at this size even if the text gets bigger/smaller depending on screen size?

There would be a separate button to create website navigation, where it would ask how many links I want and do I want them horizontally or vertically?

I would have the option to click between the pictures and a little chain link icon would appear to show they are linked together to scale together with the page. Or click again and the chain link option would disappear and they would fall under each other when the page size gets smaller.

Most of all, for example if I upload a skyscraper image that takes up ~ 20% of the page. The program would autosize it to the nearest column width instead of asking me about columns and all that kind of stuff. Preview modes would show an actual preview of the site with pictures instead of me having to save and export just to look at how it is progressing visually.

I know I need to learn responsive design but these simplified features would make it much easier for me.

thanks

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

LM, you'll want to check out RSD when it's released (sometime soon :D).
It will replace VSD, so you can easily create your responsive site within that one program.

When using RLM, keep in mind it wasn't meant to be a WYSIWYG site builder:
In building Responsive sites, there's the "site" you build before the site – that is, the structure or framework that allows the site to adapt/respond, and then the finished website itself... content, images, functionality, etc. that exist within that framework.
RLM provides an easy way to create the framework....no need for SASS, LESS, preprocessors, Node.JS......If you've got a good understanding of HTML/CSS and Media Queries, you can quickly build your site's responsive structure.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 2336860 Photo

252 posts

I still would really like to see an Export button on the toolbar. Or at least an option to turn one on in the settings. What would be super awesome would be both an Export button and Ctrl+E for keyboard shortcut, but now Ctrl+E is the settings menu. Maybe that could be mapped to a different key?
To me at least it makes for a smoother workflow... work on a project, Ctrl+S to save, followed by a Ctrl+E to export. Instead of Ctrl+S, move, click, move click Export.

Does it make me sound lazy? (you can be honest, I can take it) :D

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Chef-Scott wrote:
I still would really like to see an Export button on the toolbar. Or at least an option to turn one on in the settings. What would be super awesome would be both an Export button and Ctrl+E for keyboard shortcut, but now Ctrl+E is the settings menu. Maybe that could be mapped to a different key?
To me at least it makes for a smoother workflow... work on a project, Ctrl+S to save, followed by a Ctrl+E to export. Instead of Ctrl+S, move, click, move click Export.

Does it make me sound lazy? (you can be honest, I can take it) :D

You need to save many times throughout creating a layout. However you should only be exporting a few times. An export button really is not needed on the main toolbar, but a shortcut can never hurt.

I will send it up to see if it can be worked into a future release.
User 2336860 Photo

252 posts

Adam East wrote:
You need to save many times throughout creating a layout. However you should only be exporting a few times.

I'm the crazy one then.
When working on a project I'll save, then export and work on some coding, go back to RLMP, change move items... lather, rinse, repeat. :lol:

Adam East wrote:
An export button really is not needed on the main toolbar, but a shortcut can never hurt.

I will send it up to see if it can be worked into a future release.

That would be awesome! Thank you for seeing if it could be added!

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

You are exporting to much. You should finish your project in RLM and then export it. You can add everything but your external HTML such as menu, slide shows etc. But your main content can all be done in RLM. Why export every hour? It just seems a waste of time to me. :P
User 2336860 Photo

252 posts

Adam East wrote:
You are exporting to much. You should finish your project in RLM and then export it. You can add everything but your external HTML such as menu, slide shows etc. But your main content can all be done in RLM. Why export every hour? It just seems a waste of time to me. :P

I told you I was crazy! :P
Yeah, I think I need to re-think my workflow with RLMP then. It took me a bit to stop thinking device specific breakpoints and to start thinking content-flow breakpoints when I first started using RLMP.

User 418470 Photo

101 posts

1: What I would very much like is for the right section to be collapsible. I have a 27" monitor but 1200 px is always buried under the ""Index(page)"/ Layout/Elements/Properties" Panel. Sometimes I would just like to see what it looks like?

2: I am having a problem with color. I choose my color in CC WCS, highlight the color, Cntrl C; go to RLMP, select the color I want to change, CNTRL V - and I get the same color as the very 1st Cntrl-C?
The workaround is to choose my color in CC WCS, highlight the color, RIGHT CLICK "COPY"; THEN, go to RLMP, select the color I want to change, DELETE/ RIGHT CLICK "PASTE"
Not really sure which program is having the problem - tho RLMP is not accepting Cntrl-V but once and once only.

Thanks
I should have something clever to say... but I don't.
newurbanpantry.com https://www.newurbanpantry.com
frankelmo.com http://www.frankelmo.com
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,096 posts

Midcentury, Here are a couple of things to help.

1. Hidden slider: You don't need the right panel to collapse. If the slider is hidden under the panel, click anywhere on the slider bar and the slider will jump to it.

2a. Copying a color: You can go the "long way" to make sure the color copies to the clipboard. Add the color the scheme. Right click on the color. Choose "Copy Color" and then click the color that you want to copy to the clipboard.

2b. Pasting the color: In RLM, click the setting top open the color box. Highlight the hex code for the color (in the box next to # symbol) and then press Ctrl-V. If the color doesn't change, make sure the a channel (in the box next to "a" label) is changed to 1. If not, highlight the number that is there (probably 0.00) and change it to 1.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.