Struggling With Header Containing...

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

...but it does help visually to get something of a similar look if your struggling with what the end result will look like.
I'd rather know how the navigation will function from the get-go, rather than place it as an afterthought. :lol:
I did stumble across the nav element somewhere in the choices, but I'm having a time getting anywhere 'cause the program keeps freezing up. So far, I'm using Ctrl+Alt+Delete more than anything else. As usual with CC programs... give me a new toy and I will brake it in a matter of minutes. :o
What I was trying to do was create the menu (5 text links, very simple I thought :lol:) within RLM, rather than insert an already made menu. I couldn't figure out how to make a horizontal unordered list. Now I'm trying a container with 5 text links and that's working out pretty well.
What would that look like in the Editor though? I made the container class 'nav'. Would I add the <ul> and <li> tags to the links in the Editor?
I may give the Menu Maker a go for the RLM. Thanks for doing those videos, Steve!. It seems to work well within RLM.
I haven't been able to get a MM menu to work well within a non-RLM created responsive site, so I haven't tried using it in a while.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya paintbrush,

The nav is basically a container to put your nav in after you export the site. You will have to create your menus on your own and then put them into the nav container or div that is where you want the menu to be.

You "can", however, create a row of links if your only wanting the menu to be links. You would do this by creating the nav placeholder and then populating that area with text link elements. You can create button links too which will also be able to mimic a menu.

Do keep in mind though that these would only be level one menus and you would still need to replace them if the menu requires dropdowns at all.
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

paintbrush wrote:
(**When I insert an unordered list, I can't find any way to get it from vertical to horizontal.)

.menu ul, li {
display: inline-block;
}
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Per wrote:
paintbrush wrote:
(**When I insert an unordered list, I can't find any way to get it from vertical to horizontal.)

.menu ul, li {
display: inline-block;
}

I think she means in RLM Per :P
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

lol,
yes, I suspected that paintbrush would know all about the display options and that the problem instead was something specific to RLM, which I have not tried out yet...
Oh well...
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Jo Ann, that's just what I did... a row of text links.
At least it gives me an idea about setting the break points and how it's going to work within the site so I can use that info for the real menu.
So when I go to put the actual menu on a site, would it be best to have a separate style sheet for it rather than messing with the RLM CSS?
Mick–
...so that any content below when scrolled in the preview mode, scrolls underneath the nav links and the column remains fixed in position.

Maybe this might help, scroll down a bit to see a Jquery example to make this work:
http://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/fixed-menu-bar/

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.