Negative Interactions of one webpage...

User 2717997 Photo

4 posts

First, I sent a previous communication and attached an htm page without the necessary files. Sorry for sending an informationless document. I can't find that new thread! This is my best attempt at communication.
I am composing pages one at a time. Brian Durfee advised me to publish each page with its css folder; that the information in the same projects was cumulative. I published a Bags page with images that are 350 px square. All OK. I composed a subsequent Jewelry page with images 325 x 244 px. I published the page with its css folder. That page OK but it reduced the images on the previously published Bags page to 200 px square. I re-exported the Bags page and published it with its css folder. Fixed the Bags page but reduced the images in the Jewelry page. How can I eliminate the negative interaction of these pages? You permit attachments of only 100 kb. The smallest pdf I can make of illustrative screen shots is 200 !
ghmeck@aol.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Not sure I fully follow you on your question. Can you please elaborate is greater detail? Also, if you have attachments larger then 100k, simply upload them to your server and post a link to them.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2717997 Photo

4 posts

Scott, Thanks for responding so quickly. A problem: Years ago I arranged for Yahoo to host my website. I have been using Yahoo Sitebulider, a very primitive program but wysiwyg. I can only publish all outstanding pages; I cannot select some and not others. I have several pages only partially completed, therefore, I cannot put the illustrative pdf on the server and link to it. I won't publish partial pages. How is that for alliteration?!
I purchased RLM to improve my site page by page while continuing to adjust pages in Sitebuilder. So, I am composing individual RLM pages and publishing them one by one. I was informed that, so long as all the individual pages are set with the same project name, the css settings are cumulative. I have been publishing RLM pages one by one, each with its css folder. Is that appropriate?
I review all pages within the website folder on my computer. I saw that publishing the latest page (call it page 5) negatively affected the images in one (not all) previously published pages (Call that page 4). I reexported the altered page 4, replaced the css folder, and checked it in my website folder. The images in that page 4 were then correct but the images in page 5 were then made smaller. So, I re-exported page 5, placed it into my folder with its css folder. Well, now, again, the images in page 4 were reduced in size. I played with the Properties, of course, Width 100%, then Auto; Max-width 'Set number' pixels or None; always setting Min-width 0 px. ONE PAGE (with its css folder) ALTERS THE IMAGE SIZE IN THE OTHER!
What am I doing wrong? Or not enough of?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Are you starting a completely new project for each page or are you using the same file and just altering the page that is created and renaming it? Or are you doing it the right way and creating a new page by duplicating the page that is already created? The way you're describing it it sounds like you're making a new project with the same name for each page and that will definitely be a problem as the new files for CSS and JS etc. will overwrite the others and may not always be the same.
  • To do this correctly so that all pages are using the same supporting files go to the menu at the top of the program and choose Layouts and then Manage Project.
  • In the next window that opens you will see a list of your pages (my guess is you only have an index page, but let us know if you are already doing it this way).
  • Choose the Index page or any page that you want to duplicate and hit the Duplicate Layout button.
  • Now name that page and you're all set.
  • When the pages are complete export the project and upload the pages that you want to upload as well as all of the supporting files. (always try to make sure they are as complete as needed before bothering to export so you don't have to redo content constantly)

You don't have to upload all of the files so if you're only adding one page then just upload that one page and the CSS files and you're all set.
You can now take that new page and alter it any way you like and remember that all settings are connected unless you give an element new CSS tags in the program. If you want something on one page to be a little different on another page then change the CSS classes or ID's and give it the new changes.

If you need more assistance with this just ask as there's lots of us around to help answer the questions you may have.
User 2717997 Photo

4 posts

Wow Jo Ann, you and Scott working holiday weekends! I am impressed....and very grateful. I am looking forward this week to reviewing the pages I have developed and making sure that I am doing it the 'right way' as you instruct.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Hey George, can't really help with your problem, but I can help with your file upload troubles if you can't upload to your server. I have a small ( very primitive ) file upload service through the web site in my signature. You can upload up to a 10mb file for free. Before you upload you can add a description, you can also password protect if you wish. Then just post the link here ( with password if you use one ) and only forum users will be able to download your file. Let me know when/if you want to delete a file and I'll take care of it. Try to upload everything in 1 zip file. When downloading, if you are not a member, you can only download 1 file every 20 minutes. You'll be prompted before downloading to sign up. Not needed. Just 'continue as guest'. Kind of a hassle I know, but it works. Just an option if you need to upload a large file. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

George H Meck wrote:
Wow Jo Ann, you and Scott working holiday weekends! I am impressed....and very grateful. I am looking forward this week to reviewing the pages I have developed and making sure that I am doing it the 'right way' as you instruct.

haha no worries George, I'm a user just like you are, not an employee of CC so I read the forums a lot is all. But I have to say there aren't many companies out there that you'll find high ranking staff answering forums at all let alone on a holiday weekend so welcome to one of the most useful and functional forums you'll find around the web. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.