display contact information - Post ID...

User 458539 Photo

1,584 posts

I was wondering - In Dreamweaver I used to be able to adjust the z index - but never really understood what it did. Changed the layers but don't know in this case or how to do it in CC HTML editor - not a CSS expert! Suppose I could search the code and experiment but I usually do more damage that good that way!

Anybody play with this?

Byron
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Byron,

Z index is basically how high above something an item is. Picture it as being how far off the ground it is, or in the case of a web element, how far off the bottom layer of the page it is in relevance to other items. This is used many times in order to raise a menu above all other page elements so nothing else will overlap it.

When you use it in CSS you write it as an attribute to a selector or tag such as:

.myphoto { z-index: 100; }

That tells the browser to display whatever has that class applied to it at 100 steps (for lack of a better example term) above the ground level of the page.

You can definitely use it in the HTML Editor in your CSS without any problems there.
Hope that helps :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.