Confused - Post ID 230902

User 501219 Photo

6 posts

I have worked with VSD for a long time, and have read many ads and promotional mails reg. RLM, but I am still confused and have not found the easy answer in the material presented:
- Does RML only make a "template" site that must be edited with content in another tool?
- Can RML over time replace VSD?
- Is it depending on uploading to the S drive? (I host my own server)
- How do I actually MAKE content if I use RML?

I know I will be able to find the answers if I use time to investigate as I work in the IT field, (but not web-field), but my time is limited and by receiving so many promotional emails over a long period, it is strange this is not spelled out more clearly for us dummies:-) Or- maybe I just missed out on the fine print...
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

RLM makes wireframes, not sites. You can't use it in connection with VSD (well, only with difficulties and various hacks). Instead you export the wireframe and open it up in a code editor and add the content.

What you should be holding out for, is the not yet quite ready RSD (Responsive Site Designer). It will be for non-coders. Don't think the launch of it is far away.

And yes, you can hoist the sites wherever you want.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

- Does RML only make a "template" site that must be edited with content in another tool?
Yes.

- Can RML over time replace VSD?
RSD wil replace VSD, but RLM is responsive where VSD is not. RSD will be responsive and can be used with RLM.

- Is it depending on uploading to the S drive? (I host my own server)
You do not have to use S-Drive and can continue to host on your own server.

- How do I actually MAKE content if I use RML?
In a variety of ways. Text you will simply type in. Other content will be your pictures, slide shows, animations, video and a host of other things.

As Inger pointed out, RLM simply makes a layout ( with placeholders for lack of a better term ). Once you finish the 'design' you'd like, then you export that design to your hard drive. Then you would load it into an HTML editor and add the actual content (pictures, videos and such). When finished you would have a complete web site ready to upload to your server. You have to edit the HTML/CSS files from RLM to finish a site. There's lots of help here if you need it, but there will be a learning curve.

Or, like me, you can hold out for the RSD ( Responsive Site Designer ) that will be geared more towards those not wanting to code a lot. As with any design program, at some point you may need to adjust the code. Layouts made in RLM will be able to be imported and used in the RSD program. This will shorten the time needed to create an entire web site because ( I'm assuming ) all you would need to do is replace the placeholders with your actual content and you'd be finished.

So, short answer, you are probably wanting RSD, but it wouldn't hurt to have RLM (especially since it's on sale)! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

No, not like a template to be edited, it builds the flexible, responsive structure (the 'bones' of the site), in which to place your content. You still need to know how to actually create your site with HTML/CSS (and JS, PHP, etc. as needed).

Building a responsive website is sort of like building 3-4 sites at once. You have to work out the framework, grid, structure... whatever, that will hold all the content – and how it will shift to display that content in the best way for any device from phone to wide-screen.
RLM allows one to get through that initial process quickly; you can easily test breakpoints before even going to a browser, and try different row/column configurations without having to completely re-do your CSS/HTML every time you want to make a change.
If you're writing your own site code, this gets you past what could normally take many hours of testing and tweaking.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.