Possible Bug w/ [if !mso] comments? -...

User 2432082 Photo

10 posts

Not sure if it's bug, but I'm seeing a lot of <![if !mso] tags showing up on my emails which seem like they aren't hiding correctly.

Example:

<![if !mso]><!-- --> ... is showing up a lot in http://dev.lgdcom.com/live/emails/LGDC/RED_TEMPLATE/ (view the source).

Other fallbacks are hiding correctly, it seems. e.g.: <!--[if gte mso 9]>

Shouldn't <![if !mso]><!-- --> be coding as <!--[if !mso]><!-- -->? Maybe not. Not sure what's up. What i do know is that this tag is continually showing up in the email preview that a lot of clients show. Any workaround for that?

Any help appreciated!
User 2273654 Photo

755 posts

I looked at your email link and could not find the culprit showing up anywhere on the email. The email looks good. I looked at it on Firefox browser. Code is supposed to show up on the view the source that is viewing the code.
My CC S-drive site https://workhorsepainting.com
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Looked at it in Chrome and it looks good. Not seeing those code snippets anywhere.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

I see them (in Firefox). They're highlighted in red and and tagged "bogus comment".
Don't have a clue why those are missing the -- :(
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Can you tell me what version of Firefox you both are using? I have tried in version 36.0.4 for both Windows and OS X, and I cannot replicate what you are describing. If you can you also tell me how you are sending your emails, that would be useful. Are you using an ESP like MailChimp, an email client or by using the RED Test Email feature?

And finally, what email client are you using to read your emails with that display the [if !mso]'s? Is this with a browser, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.?

Hopefully it is something simple, but just need a bit more info. ;)

BTW, that you have created some awesome emails with RED so far! That truly makes us proud of our work! :)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2432082 Photo

10 posts

Thanks, Scott!

So to be on the same page, we aren't having any issues with the tag displaying on browsers (desktop or mobile). It's only on clients we've seen them, for example Android's CloudMagic client: (http://cl.ly/image/2o2W311m3E0s). It's also only in the preview snippet, not in the actual email body.

It's not showing in other clients that I can immediately recall (we test on Gmail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Android Native, iMail, iOs 7 & 8, Yahoo and AOL), so I wasn't immediately concerned; just something I noted and was curious about.

We create for multiple different clients as well as ourselves, but often clients prefer to use different ESPs. We have used RED so far on MailChimp (our native and favorite), Constant Contact, eCampaign Pro, and Vertical Response (this one is always awful, as it only allows up to 45k characters). For the one in question, however, it was sent through MC.
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

JB-LGD wrote:

It's only on clients we've seen them, for example Android's CloudMagic client: (http://cl.ly/image/2o2W311m3E0s). It's also only in the preview snippet, not in the actual email body.

It's not showing in other clients that I can immediately recall (we test on Gmail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Android Native, iMail, iOs 7 & 8, Yahoo and AOL), so I wasn't immediately concerned; just something I noted and was curious about.

Thanks for the info. We have been testing with loads of clients, but never CloudMagic (which does not seem to be widely used) and have never seen that code showing in preview. It seems to be an edge case, but we will have a solution for this:

We felt the preview / preheader text should be independent of where text elements are placed in the design. In many cases 'view online' or the alt logo text will show, which is quite uninformative for the recipient. In one of the next releases preview / preheader text can be specified below the subject input field. This text will not show when opened, only in preview and also replace the conditional statement (where it would show up).
The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 2787918 Photo

3 posts

I was reported by few clients regarding the same issue after sending out the first responsive newsletter.

Please refer the screenshot that I attach with this reply.

Devices currently being reported :
Windows 7 Professional - Windows Live Mail
Windows 7 - Lotus Notes

Please let me know what is the solution for the issue ?
Attachments:
User 2702495 Photo

1 post

Having same problem - I cannot use this software if it has these bugs [if !mso] is showing at the top on the email body in Thunderbird
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Paul Dipre wrote:
Having same problem - I cannot use this software if it has these bugs [if !mso] is showing at the top on the email body in Thunderbird

The issue here would not be with the software Paul. Sounds like the process you are taking to send your emails is causing issues.

- How are you sending the email? Example- I am opening Outlook, pasting the code, sending the email to myself.
- Can you attach the .RED file?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.