Getting started with Image Mapper


Registered User
5 posts

I am no tech expert, just the basics. I just purchased the image mapper with a specific purpose in mind for my website, "http://www.opensalts.us". On this page, "http://opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/catalogs-France.html", as well as all my other catalog pages, I wanted to use image mapper to show actual examples of specific items on the catalog pages when you click on the enlarged image. I can't figure out how to make the image show up at all. I can usually pick up what to do if shown or walked through it once or twice. Any chance someone could help me do that? I've been through most of the forum on this topic and saw some mention of a video that shows how to use this program but can't locate it. Please help :(


Registered User
5 posts

Maybe I should add I'm not a total spazz. I tried entering the URLs for my file images and saw that if the images were not in the same file that I needed to add img src= but nothing seems to work. Just need someone to walk me through it once and I should be good to go. Thanks!


Registered User
938 posts

Deborah Raitz wrote:
Maybe I should add I'm not a total spazz. I tried entering the URLs for my file images and saw that if the images were not in the same file that I needed to add img src= but nothing seems to work. Just need someone to walk me through it once and I should be good to go. Thanks!


There are images on that web page. With the image mapper, it's a pretty easy program to use. I don't know about videos I'm sure someone would have done one. If not I can do one, I do vids about all sorts of software. But your code should look like this underneath, with our image in the same file as your html document.

<body>
<!-- Beginning of Client Side Image Map -->
<img src="Eye has not seen.jpg" USEMAP="#NotNamed" BORDER=0>
<map name="NotNamed">
<area name="Rectangle" shape="rect" coords="119,122,336,253" href="" alt="bla bla" title="bla bla" target="_self">
</map>
<!-- End of Client Side Image Map -->
</body>


Registered User
5 posts

Thank you for your response. I was not even able to get a preview to work so I did not upload the html. I have since done that and it still does not work. If you click on the image for Meisenthal 1907 on this page: "http://opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/catalogs-France.html" I have added what I should and this is the image that should be there: "opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/France-Real/Glass-Green-Double-4a.jpg". I don't get the mouseover text either. It just says "See image" but I don't see anything.
Attachments:


Registered User
938 posts

Deborah Raitz wrote:
Thank you for your response. I was not even able to get a preview to work so I did not upload the html. I have since done that and it still does not work. If you click on the image for Meisenthal 1907 on this page: "http://opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/catalogs-France.html" I have added what I should and this is the image that should be there: "opensalts.us/References/Catalogs/France-Real/Glass-Green-Double-4a.jpg". I don't get the mouseover text either. It just says "See image" but I don't see anything.


Ok this is something that you should have. You won't get the mousover text if your using Chrome it doesn't have a status bar, and it's not that important. Double click the shapes if you have problem. Once you get the hang of it will click, it's like a lot of programs. Things like Web design can be frustrating, but many times it's just one thing that doesn't work. I'm having a bit of a problem with another program, I know it's me, I just can't work it out :(

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m555/thenbman/Mapper.jpg


Registered User
5 posts

I finally got the preview to work correctly but when I copy and paste the html to my webpage, all that shows up now is an unclickable image. You are supposed to click on any image on the page and a full size image will appear. That full size image is what I want to be image mapped. Do I need to upload a new image or something like that? I don't see where the original image would be changed.

Definitely frustrating. I know it has to be something simple I'm just not getting. BTW, I do not use Chrome but I agree I don't really care about the status bar. I would like the words "See Image" to appear on mouseover though.


Registered User
938 posts

Deborah Raitz wrote:
I finally got the preview to work correctly but when I copy and paste the html to my webpage, all that shows up now is an unclickable image. You are supposed to click on any image on the page and a full size image will appear. That full size image is what I want to be image mapped. Do I need to upload a new image or something like that? I don't see where the original image would be changed.

Definitely frustrating. I know it has to be something simple I'm just not getting. BTW, I do not use Chrome but I agree I don't really care about the status bar. I would like the words "See Image" to appear on mouseover though.


Just copy and paste the image map bit the one underneath the image to your HTML page where you need it


Registered User
5 posts

O-KKKKKK

Now I have the enlarged image and it works! but it's on the main page and I don't want it there. I want it to be visible AFTER you click to see the enlarged image but that is not an html page by itself. That must be the problem.. Maybe I should just try it on the small image that's on the main page.

My next problem will probably be trying to make multiple mapped spaces on one image. I'll keep playing with it. Thank you for your help and I am still open to any and all advice!


Registered User
938 posts

Deborah Raitz wrote:
O-KKKKKK

Now I have the enlarged image and it works! but it's on the main page and I don't want it there. I want it to be visible AFTER you click to see the enlarged image but that is not an html page by itself. That must be the problem.. Maybe I should just try it on the small image that's on the main page.

My next problem will probably be trying to make multiple mapped spaces on one image. I'll keep playing with it. Thank you for your help and I am still open to any and all advice!


Well at least your getting somewhere :P You can make as many links really as you want on the mapper. You can use it for links as other web sites or whatever and of courses images like you are. It is a good program but Rome wasn't built in a day and takes time to master these tools


Registered User
3 posts

Sadly I could not even get this far. I have loved and used the 1990's vintage CoffeeCup mapper-- it was so cute and easy to use.. now this beast wont even access my file?! Oh the humiliation and pain having been out of tech for 10 years.

I tried to reset windows security in-case that was the issue.. no joy. I can browse the image I want to map, I select it and boom I cant get it to open in the program. I cant drag and drop the image into the Cup either. I am decidedly sad <un>smiley face.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.