Update to HTML Editor (to Version...

User 118588 Photo

36 posts

OK it seems the senior folk here believe removing features in an update is fine.
I bought the program with a sales pitch that included the VD as one reason to buy it.
Yes there are some improvements but I would have thought a useful feature for some should have been fixed and improved in an upgrade. Imagine if Dreamweaver gave up on their design feature, removed it in an upgrade without notice........there would be more than a little fuss.
Reasoning that VD was problematic anyway doesn't cut it with me as a valid reason and comparing it to the car service, well it came back without a wheel.

Dave
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

that's a very unrealistic comparison Dave. CC created Visual Site Designer as the option for visual designing quite some time ago as they worked on phasing out the Visual Tab on the HTML Editor. It's been problematic for years already and I for one am extremely happy to see it go! No more having to tell people not to switch between the two tabs when they come on the forums complaining up a storm that their site pages don't work when they do that.... irritating to no end!

Give VSD a try if you're insistent on the Visual setup. That's what it's there for. The HTML Editor employed the visual tab very well many many years ago when it was setup, but newer code restrictions have really made that a headache for the most part. It's an HTML Editor after all isn't it? VSD will do what you need, yes you'll have to start from scratch, but from what I hear of all the users, it is well worth it.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts

I bought my original HTML editor because of the visual tab. I'm not going to miss it. The last decent version that the visual mode work good in was at least 2008.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 118588 Photo

36 posts

Eric, If the visual mode worked well you would miss it....right.

Its really a little bit of a side show anyway for me as our main development doesn't use this editor.
I did spin the VSD but the code looked very bloated and its not what we need at this stage.
I've got an earlier version back now and I'm happy:) I don't use S-Drive so the updates don't concern me much.
Jo, yes its a straight HTML editor now. I bought a HTML and Visual designer.

Look we will have to just agree to disagree, I don't have to upgrade or buy something if I don't want too.

Best Dave

User 528054 Photo

209 posts

:) I just saw this version change.... Wow, its brilliant, I am only a very basic
user but the tabs along the top of the work window are great, and the whole
thing works really well.

No issues at all

Thankyou

Regards
Peter
User 528054 Photo

209 posts

Ok............ Nothing major, but one thing I just noticed.

Sometimes its the little things that can be really helpful.

The latest release oh the HTML editor has the open file tabs along the top of the editor window.

When a change to a file is made it is very useful to be able see the appearance of the little asterisk beside the file name....

This still happens, but only on tabs that have file names that don't over fill the tab name display area...

If the open file name doesn't fully display, as the tabs don't seem to expand, then the asterisk doesn't appear, I guess its there, just not being seen because its on the end of the tab file name thats out of sight.

If this is the case, would it be possible to expand the tab width or... change the colour of the little tab file icon when an unsaved change still exists.....

As when a lot of open files have had changes made the asterisk was a really useful visual pointer...

Regards
Peter
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

Peter

Bottom right. There is still an UNSAVED or Saved.

Keith
User 528054 Photo

209 posts

Ahh.....:)

I hadn't noticed that, been using it for years too :rolleyes:

Still, the asterisk is a neat sign, its still there, just, can't see it

Thankyou for the pointer :)

Peter
User 2287960 Photo

Ambassador
580 posts

Peter G wrote:
Ahh.....:)

I hadn't noticed that, been using it for years too :rolleyes:

Still, the asterisk is a neat sign, its still there, just, can't see it

Thankyou for the pointer :)

Peter

You could ask for the asterisk to be put before the name. I think you have a point.

Keith
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I already put in the request to our developer. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.