Unable to 'Upload Entire Website...

User 364576 Photo

17 posts

Can't find a similar problem in other threads and hoping someone can help. I have not been successful uploading my website. When I try to upload the project, all I see is the index page which has no formatting, i.e, the style sheet, images and all other pages are missing: http://www.gberg.com

-I rebuilt my website in HTML editor 2010 (previously published with FrontPage) using a CC template.

-I created a project for my website and set up the server according to these instructions
FTP Server Hostname: ftp.tigertech.net
Login or Username: gberg.com (all lowercase)
Password: (your account password)
Path, Directory or Folder: (leave blank)
Passive or PASV mode: enabled

-The project folder shows up in my server tab under the root folder '/' along with files/folders from the previous site.

The preview and browser tests work perfectly. What am I doing wrong?
User 364576 Photo

17 posts

FWIW, I was able to upload the site using CC free ftp with the exact same settings as in the HTML editor (I copied and pasted from the editor).
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya G B,

What server are you using? Many times that's what is needed. Do you only have access to an ftp account? No access to the main server account? If you do have access to the main server account then the Server Hostname would just be the tigertech.net without the ftp. in front of it. The Remote folder would also need to be something like /public_html/ so I would play around with that part to see what's going on.

Knowing who you have your server hosted with would be helpful for us to know which way you need to upload things also.
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

I don't know about the server you are using, GB, but my own server now requires me to update my new IP address every day in order to have access via the ftp application. This is just a security measure that they have set up in recent months, and you might look into your own ISP and see if they have a similar requisite. Your own IP number changes regularly and what might have worked for you yesterday, may not be the same today.
Normally your IP address will by dynamic and will change often. Basically this is because the net ran out of numbers and so reorganized the numbering system to cope with this. Worth looking into as a possible cause of your problem.
User 364576 Photo

17 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Hiya G B,

What server are you using? Many times that's what is needed. Do you only have access to an ftp account? No access to the main server account? If you do have access to the main server account then the Server Hostname would just be the tigertech.net without the ftp. in front of it. The Remote folder would also need to be something like /public_html/ so I would play around with that part to see what's going on.

Knowing who you have your server hosted with would be helpful for us to know which way you need to upload things also.

Thanks Jo Ann - the server instructions posted in my first post are directly from the host - tigertech.net (whose setting instructions require the 'ftp)'. The remote folder instructions are 'leave blank' which defaults to '/' . I tried all variations of /public_html, www and web but nothing worked. I was able to load via ftp, just not from the html editor - is that a bug in the editor?
User 364576 Photo

17 posts

Janys Hyde wrote:
I don't know about the server you are using, GB, but my own server now requires me to update my new IP address every day in order to have access via the ftp application. This is just a security measure that they have set up in recent months, and you might look into your own ISP and see if they have a similar requisite. Your own IP number changes regularly and what might have worked for you yesterday, may not be the same today.
Normally your IP address will by dynamic and will change often. Basically this is because the net ran out of numbers and so reorganized the numbering system to cope with this. Worth looking into as a possible cause of your problem.

Yikes! Fortunately, that's not a requirement of my server. Was able to ftp with no problem - just not directly from the html editor program. Would like to eliminate this extra step since the html editor has a built-in ftp. Is it buggy or is it just me?
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

G.B...pleased to hear you don't have to deal with that one!
What I do from the HTML Editor is set up a couple of ftp upload options including separate ones for any other folders I have on the server, including of course a connection for the image folder/s to reflect the same setup I have on my local pc HD. Have you tried that?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.