Transferring from XP to Win 10 PC -...

User 484408 Photo

63 posts

I have a website developed on HTML Editor many years ago on a XP laptop. I want to transfer the files from the XP to a Win 10 laptop where CC HTML Editor version 15.4 build 801 is installed.

I have a backup copy of the old files and a manual backup of all of the old files (probably the same thing) on a USB drive.

My question:
When I open HTML Editor ver 15.4 what is the best way to access my web site files?
Import them
Transfer all of the files to??
Transfer "Public_html" file to the Win 10 PC?

As you can see my knowledge level re PC's is just average so any suggestions/answers will hopefully be very basic.
I did build the original web site using HTML Editor myself but that was a while ago.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. I do not want to mess the current site until a replacement is in place.

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

The HTML Editor has no 'import' function, you just transfer your files to the new laptop and open them. Easy as that!

You may possibly get the option to create a 'project' with your files. That will be up to you to decide.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 484408 Photo

63 posts

I am going to try and do this through a new Project.

Once I set up a New Project with all of the old files for my website, can I make individual changes?

For example, if I see an error on only one page of my website can I fiv and upload that one page within the Project protocol or do all changes to the website be completed and uploaded at the same time?

I am ntt sure I see the benefit of Projects. yes I have read lots of details on Projects. Most of my changes will be to individual pages and have them uploaded as they are completed. Hope this all makes sense.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

As a matter of fact I am not a 'project' user, so I can't answere the questions in your latest post. But I'm pretty sure that you can upload just changes.

The advantages of using projects are said to be that you keep all the files pertaining to them together, and you can upload the lot with just one click.

My way of doing things, which I have used successfully for over 20 years, is to create a local folder for the files, then subfolders for images, css, js etc. I make sure that I place the images, style sheets etc in the correct folder before I start. When I get to uploading, I open the main folder and upload all that's in it. Later, when adding or changing something, I upload the files/folders where I have made the additions/changes.

I guess that with 'projects' it can be done faster, because some of the operations I do manually will then be automated, but, well, I'm a bit old fashioned, I guess. ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.