The HTML Editor 12.9 > 14.1 upgrade?...

User 47496 Photo

2 posts

Hi All

I've been a CC HTML Editor user (and many other CC applications too) since 2001, and have always been able to upgrade to the latest version, which was the undertaking given by CC at the time of purchase - a promis of lifetime upgrades.

It now appears that I can't upgrade to The HTML Editor 14.1.

Does anyone know if CC have now reneged on the undertaking they gave way back in 2001? :/

Thanks

David

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Wow David, your last order was in 2006. OUCH! :)

We have been discussing this for years now so I think you must be just deleting our emails. However, you more then got your monies worth on a purchase made in 2001. ;)

In over 15 years of making amazing Web Design and other software products, CoffeeCup has in general, delivered improved versions of the software free of charge. We will continue to do so, especially when a new version mainly consists of minor improvements and fixes. However, from time to time there will be new versions that require rewrites of the application or parts of the application. This process requires significant research, design, development and testing time. In those situations and on a case by case basis, CoffeeCup reserves the right to require a fee for upgrading to the new and improved version of the software. Given the resources it would take, we would hate to withhold implementing these improvements purely based on financial decisions; charging a nominal fee for updates is the only way to accomplish this.

Our lifetime upgrade policy was actually changed quite some time ago and you will not find any references on our website that allude to any lifetime policy. On our website we do list our Upgrade Policy. This is also in the EULA when you install the Editor. Yeah that legal stuff we all click YES on. ;)

Even though we have had this policy in place, we have still been providing updates for free which I certainly can see why some may have the impression nothing has changed when the opposite is true. For years our customers have been telling us we are too generous on our free updates and that they would be willing to pay fees to make sure the program they love keeps getting plenty of attention. We held out for over 15 years though and finally decided after much discussion that it was just time to do so. Yes, it is a big change for some and we know not everyone will be happy with that, but we need to do what we think is the best for us and our customers. We still plan on having many, many free updates as we feel that is very important but once and a while there will need to be a small fee to help offset these costs.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 327363 Photo

2 posts

So.... I'm almost as bad. I think my purchase was in 2007 :(
I'm a network engineer, and definitely NOT a web design person. That's why I like CoffeeCup!
Actually, for much of the web 'rendering' I do, the tools I use most like Visio and other Office products allow me to save the documents as web pages. Quick and DIRTY, but it works in a pinch, and in a massive hurry (almost always the case).
My problem with those is that the HTML output looks like CRAP (DIRTY) :)
Once again, I'm in a position where I need to whip something up that is CLEAN and standards-based. CoffeeCup has always done me right. I need absolutely clean,pure HTML5. NO JAVA. NO FLASH. Both of which are sucking chest wounds of security. Those that I work with (not for -- in this case) are making it clear that JAVA (client-side) and FLASH are technologies-non-grata.

How much to "upgrade" and since the policy changed (I completely understand), how long will I get free-updates?
User 30679 Photo

1 post

I must have missed something - I quite agree with the pricing strategy - you can't really expect lifelong free upgrades these days, but what is 'a small fee'? I cannot find details anywhere and I don't recall getting an email. All I can see is the full price.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Jack Summers-Glass wrote:
I must have missed something - I quite agree with the pricing strategy - you can't really expect lifelong free upgrades these days, but what is 'a small fee'? I cannot find details anywhere and I don't recall getting an email. All I can see is the full price.

We have been offering an upgrade off an on now for 2 years Jack through many different weekly newsletters. The cost was around $19. All specials have ended though. We may offer another upgrade opportunity in the next 1-2 weeks so make sure to monitor our emails for when they are offered.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

Remember and upgrade Mac version as well.
Tony
User 15457 Photo

1 post

Uhm.... I quit developing web stuff, and plan to start dabbling into it again. The first thing I did was download the HTML editor... version 15? Definitely interested in an upgrade coupon.

Thank you.

-Julian

User 91535 Photo

5 posts

I guess its time for an upgrade. hehe
User 40168 Photo

1 post

My coffee cup account was linked to an old email I don't use anymore, now updated, but definately interested in an upgrade coupon if they are available... I too don't do much with HTML (maybe once a year, maybe) but would like to get a new version... if there is any coupons available...

Just updated the email address...

User 2120530 Photo

14 posts

I have HTML Editor 14. How do I upgrade to 15? I spent some time wandering through your website, and it was not obvious to me how to do this.

What are the new features of 15? It seems that I didn't have a sub to the newsletter.

Regards,
Alan

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.