Replace function is ... - Post ID 164959

User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

Sorry folks, have to vent...

for me the replace function is very buggy

I replaced 23 times an expression in "folder" *.* including subfolders etc etc, but still CC does not
replace all or at all...and yes, I checked if there was a "read-only" on any of the files ... this is a mystery to me

it comes up over and over again

(btw: why does CC create .tmp files only to find the searched for expressions there, too)??

am now investigating 3rd party programs to do reliable search & replace work

I am not willing to give it to support (they wont be able to replicate it and the last "find" error I sent - it was replicated and I was told it will be fixed some day - them wasn't fixed in the last update, so I see no use)

That disappointed me...I know I got this program for a great price, I have no reason to expect any updates or support and so what I get is fantastic, I really like its functionality, but it seems CC business decisions and resources are set on S-Drive or a Mac version...

I am growing weary of the problems I have with CC - nice program, but ... :rolleyes:
this costs me hours!

I am in the process of writing a script for potentially 40000 people how they can use CC to move from their hosting...if I cannot promise my readers that the F&R functionality works, I honestly cannot recommend them using CC (F&R is about the main part of the switch).

I catched myself glancing at Dreamweaver (well, for that price I expect A LOT!) ...or free editors on the internet...in their forums Kompozer is held at high esteem...

so I know you will all tell me its the best since sliced bread, and again, I relly like it... but it is not reliable IMO, and I do not think it is all me or my PC

so, sorry, had to get rid of that

off to research a S&R program

Dan
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

so I know you will all tell me its the best since sliced bread, and again, I relly like it... but it is not reliable IMO, and I do not think it is all me or my PC

There a some here who will defend CC to the last but I have never taken that route. It's not fair and balanced. I criticize when criticism is warranted and praise when it is warranted. I hope you find yourself the editor your looking for.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

HI Tomalicious,

thank you!

only off to research a 3rd party Find&Replace tool ;)

am sticking to CC, but as I said some bugs are there and they don't make it easier...and I feel that the last update didn't do much..

so had to vent my disappointment and frustration

thanks for your shoulder

Dan
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I use Notepad ++ for most any of the things that I cannot do with HTML Editor (which aren't that many at this point for me) and I actually replaced my default notepad program with that one so I have a much nicer default text editor to work with and anytime I need it it's in my Quicklaunch so I have immediate access to it when I need to do something quick outside of the HTML Editor. Works pretty slick for me so far and is a pretty powerful text editor itself.
User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

Hi Jo Ann,

wow, that sounds like a great tip...

haven't thought about Notepad yet...:rolleyes:

stupid question: what is Notepad++ ??

Would really like to test that!!!

Thank you

Dan
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

It's a free program, basically it's Notepad (like what you have already default with all Windows versions). But it also has a ton of functionality that the basic Notepad program doesn't have. It has a very extensive search/find/replace system that works quite well, as well as the capability to handle coding etc. http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and give it a try.
User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

cool!!

great support here... :cool:

will test it and perhaps it is the best solution then for my readers, too

just want to mention that I am the one upholding the CC flag in this 40k people forums

just wishing that CC would be even better

Thanks again

Dan
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,474 posts

Just a hint for Search and replace in the HTML Editor: If you have something you want to replace throughout a site or folder, be aware that the Editor treats

'Lorem ipsum'

and

'Lorem
ipsum'

as two different phrases. I learnt that some years ago when I was making myself familiar with css and needed to pull out a lot of presentational markup from my pages.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

It also treats
'Lorem ipsum'
and
'Lorem ipsum'
as being different! There are supposed to be a couple of extra spaces between the words but I have a feeling they are not showing up here.:rolleyes:
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,474 posts

You mean like this: 'Lorem     ipsum'? Yeah, I forgot that one.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.