HTML Editor 2008 pre-release - Page 2

User 422779 Photo

11 posts

Thanks, Melissa. I just wasn't sure if HTML Editor 2008 would be considered an upgrade to the 2007 version or if it was considered a "new" product. I want to give it a try but don't want to install it, get used to it, and then have to pay for it. I have VSD, Web Form Builder, Flash Firestarter and HTML Editor 2007 PLUS a number of paid graphics programs. That's all good, but I also have a wife and I'm surprised she let me get all the toys I already have. (c:
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Frank wrote:
Thanks, Melissa. I just wasn't sure if HTML Editor 2008 would be considered an upgrade to the 2007 version or if it was considered a "new" product. I want to give it a try but don't want to install it, get used to it, and then have to pay for it. I have VSD, Web Form Builder, Flash Firestarter and HTML Editor 2007 PLUS a number of paid graphics programs. That's all good, but I also have a wife and I'm surprised she let me get all the toys I already have. (c:

I just installed 2008 and it shows it being registered, not the trial version.

Just make sure you log in first, don't download it as a 30 day new customer trial version, and it should let you download it from the upgrades page at http://care.coffeecup.com/fileDownload.php
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

I'm having a problem with this right now ( latest pre-release that I downloaded Tues ), where if I delete a row from a table, it hangs the program, using about 94% of RAM and I have to close it to stop the hang.

1:10 AM 2-28-08: I tried rebooting and this problem repeats. As of right now, I can no longer modify the menu table of my site, which is really frustrating me because the design needs to be completed.

HELP!
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Contact us through support and send the files your having issue with along with detailed steps so we can try and reproduce it.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Ok, here's one thing I just found out about from http://validator.w3.org/

I was able to fix 7 errors by changing this and apparently it's a bug in the program causing them?

Line 46, Column 30: value of attribute "VALIGN" cannot be "CENTER"; must be one of "TOP", "MIDDLE", "BOTTOM", "BASELINE" .

<tr height="22" valign="center">

✉

The value of the attribute is defined to be one of a list of possible values but in the document it contained something that is not allowed for that type of attribute. For instance, the “selected� attribute must be either minimized as “selected� or spelled out in full as “selected="selected"� ; a value like “selected="true"� is not allowed.

So I had to replace all the instances of valign="center" in the document, with valign="middle", then it says 7 of my 17 remaining errors were fixed.

The problem is that the HTML Editor keeps replacing them with center again, if it gets the chance. Do the programmers need to address this?

I don't even know much about coding yet, but it seems like by running their validator, we can learn some things about how to fix this up?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, try running the validator on http://www.coloradoprocessservers.net and see the remaining errors they show now. I'm seeing 10 left ( had 37 before ) but am not sure how to fix the remaining ones.

5:29 PM: I'm down to 3 errors now, I downloaded KOMPOZER and have been using the cleanup in there to help me.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Melissa,

On line 39 you have right at the beginning of the line:
<table name=""

Since there is no actual name assigned, you can remove the name="" on that line and cure that problem.

For the second error on lines 39, look at this web page:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp

There is no legal attribute named height in a table. You can specify such things in the style, but your style ends several statements before the height statement. Here is line 39:
<table name="" style="z-index: 104; left: 52px; position: absolute; top: 208px;" bgcolor="#004000" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="345" width="488">

Notice that the style section starts with style=" and ends at top: 208px;"
If you rework line 39, you would have something like this:

<table style="z-index: 104; left: 52px; position: absolute; top: 208px; bgcolor=#004000; border=1; cellpadding=0; cellspacing=0; height=345; width=488;">

Then line 48 also has a styling statement in it, but you don't use the style element. <tr height="22" valign="middle">

That line might work if it read: <tr style="height=22; valign=middle;>

Something that has not shown up on the validation is things like line 49 through 57. In those lines you have many <font> tags and many <strong> tags then later, you have many </font> tags and many </strong> tags. The result is that you have many OPEN tags followed by some text, then many of the CLOSE tags. The font tags were mostly setting color to #ffffff and setting face to arial and size to 2.

It would be a good idea to clean up sections like that so you can actually find your content when you need to find it.

Hope this helps you get the validation you want.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

billr wrote:
Melissa,

It would be a good idea to clean up sections like that so you can actually find your content when you need to find it.

Thanks Bill.

It's not just the validation I want. I've heard that Google partially ranks sites by how well they're designed. It may be part of their ranking algorithm. I've been getting some SEO tips and doing them, so I figure if I can get the site 100% compliant with good code practices, maybe I get all the way up there. :)

The goal to shoot for, when designing this software, IMO, would be to have a visual designer like you have, and the raw code access like you have, but some way that it could reformat things for beginners and pop out perfectly designed code.

How many customers would turn THAT down? :)
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Melissa@Forethought.net wrote:
The goal to shoot for, when designing this software, IMO, would be to have a visual designer like you have, and the raw code access like you have, but some way that it could reformat things for beginners and pop out perfectly designed code.

How many customers would turn THAT down? :)

Melissa,

The CoffeeCup HTML editor has the raw code editing, and visual editing, so maybe that explains the big number of downloads that CoffeeCup has at the top of their website.

My first website was made with MS Publisher (What a mess that code was). I have worked to learn some HTML, and know enough to be dangerous :) and now I am learning more about CSS every day. Between the HTML and CSS, I think you could do anything you wanted with a web site. The biggest problem I had with one site, was getting it to look right with IE6. That site looked great with all the other browsers I checked, but IE6 was the one I had to spend time getting it correct.

The way I learn, is reading the answers for questions here, and if I think I know the answer, I can provide some assistance. If I think I can find the answer (my bookmarked sites needs its' own database :) ) I will look for it, and in the process learn. Using HTML and CSS is a journey of learning that I enjoy.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

billr wrote:
Melissa,

On line 39 you have right at the beginning of the line:
<table name=""

Since there is no actual name assigned, you can remove the name="" on that line and cure that problem.

For the second error on lines 39, look at this web page:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp

There is no legal attribute named height in a table. You can specify such things in the style, but your style ends several statements before the height statement. Here is line 39:
<table name="" style="z-index: 104; left: 52px; position: absolute; top: 208px;" bgcolor="#004000" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="345" width="488">

Notice that the style section starts with style=" and ends at top: 208px;"
If you rework line 39, you would have something like this:

<table style="z-index: 104; left: 52px; position: absolute; top: 208px; bgcolor=#004000; border=1; cellpadding=0; cellspacing=0; height=345; width=488;">

Then line 48 also has a styling statement in it, but you don't use the style element. <tr height="22" valign="middle">

That line might work if it read: <tr style="height=22; valign=middle;>

Something that has not shown up on the validation is things like line 49 through 57. In those lines you have many <font> tags and many <strong> tags then later, you have many </font> tags and many </strong> tags. The result is that you have many OPEN tags followed by some text, then many of the CLOSE tags. The font tags were mostly setting color to #ffffff and setting face to arial and size to 2.

I just went in there and tried all this, and now my menu table is completely gone.

Also, I noticed that every once in awhile, the program keeps changing all my valign=middle back to valign=center, all by itself. It drives me bonkers and I keep changing it back, only to have it show up later as valign=center again.

Is this program set up to make automatic changes without permission, when I haven't done anything?

But just now I was down to like only 1 error and then I think the program went and changed a bunch of stuff on its own, and now I have a bunch of errors that weren't even there before.

Arghh! I'm so frustrated.

I think I'm gonna have to redo this whole index page all over again from scratch, which will take me a lot of time now.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

OHHHHHH!!! <slapping head!> I know what got botched up. I downloaded Kompozer and was using it to correct the code errors in my index.html page. BUT it uses a completely different charset! Ahhhh!

I botched my page royally.

I've gotta delete Kompozer from my system and ONLY use CoffeeCup HTML Editor from now on, and redesign the whole index page from scratch.

<kicking myself!>
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.