How can I make a colored box and...

User 412163 Photo

2 posts

I'm using HTML Editor and I'm new to this program and don't speak html.
Here's what I've been trying to figure out. I want to add gradiant color at the top and bottom of a page. The page is gold and I want to add brown. I could do this directly in the last program I had but I can't seem to find anything of this nature in Editor. And I'd like to put a photo on a square of color that has the edges blurred (the box not the photo.)
Thanks
Chris P.
User 401359 Photo

2 posts

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think you can do either of those things directly in HTML editor. You can use "document properties" to set a background colour or load in an image that you've created in another (graphics) program. You'd also need to use that program to create your blurred box.

There are lots of graphics programs out there that you can use, you don't need something like Photoshop!

Hope this helps.

User 412163 Photo

2 posts

Thanks Martin. I had a sinking feeling that was the way I was going to have to do it. The other program I had let me get real artsie but the coding was so bad my "computer geek" friend nearly had to rewrite the code just to get it to load! He says Coffee Cup is much better.
User 444460 Photo

33 posts

WYSIWYG programs aren't for everyone but if you wanted to try CC Visual Site Designer It is super simple to perform the task your requesting.

Just a suggestion from an html challenged web guy.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Christina Petee wrote:
Thanks Martin. I had a sinking feeling that was the way I was going to have to do it. The other program I had let me get real artsie but the coding was so bad my "computer geek" friend nearly had to rewrite the code just to get it to load! He says Coffee Cup is much better.

Christina,

If you write HTML code, and use CSS, you can do most anything, but you do need to be able to manipulate some images. If you want to make a gradient you should use an image program such as PhotoShop or the free GIMP. Create the gradient you want to use, and then use it as the background for a division at the top of your page, and similarly at the bottom of your page. Then set the background color for your body to be the color you want to show in the middle.

So first, you create a 1px (or 10px) wide gradient that starts brown and fades to gold and set the height to what you want for the gradient. Use the graphics program to flip that vertically and you then have two different gradients. You just use CSS to have the gradient repeat X and it will repeat across the X axis.

I am not very good with graphics programs, but I learned how to make my gradients.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.