H1 headers - Post ID 6651

User 403674 Photo

26 posts

Bill: Thank you again for your help. I tried the link you sent, and had used it when my web page was created with VSD. It worked then as a fix. When I use it now, it changes the appearance of my entire document, not just the H1/H2. Also, the line spacing, on large fonts, seems to chop off the top and bottom.

When I say the document was created with VSD, I mean that I used VSD to create the site initially and then copied the code into HTML. That has worked very well until I inserted h1/h2 headers. Unless there is something hidden in the code, why would the origin of the code in VSD be an issue? Shouldn't I be able to find and change the code causing the issue?

I don't think the issue I'm having now deals with line spacing. For some reason, now that I've entered h1/h2, that text, and only that text, shifts down a line in firefox/safari. None of the rest of the document is affected. For some reason, the positioning of those tags is not being recognized in FF/SAF.

This is a perfect example of why I never keep a hammer in the same room as a computer.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure you are very busy and your attempts to lead this blind pig to an acorn are greatly appreciated. Have a great day.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Walter,

There is no hidden code, just me having trouble understanding the code. As I mentioned, absolute positioning is a problem for me. I tried changing another page that had absolute positioning, and ended up changing everything to relative positioning.

Firefox and Safari are recognizing the positioning code. If they were not recognizing the code, the H1 would be at the very top of the page, and the H2 would be directly below the H1. For all I know this could be a Mozilla bug.
User 403674 Photo

26 posts

Bill: thanks again for your help. I think I found a solution. Apparently, the issue is with ME, not ff or safari. I included margins and paddings in the h1/h2 css and they now appear to render properly in all 3 browsers.

Thank you again for coming to the aid of a kunckleheaded newbie like me. Have a great day.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Walter,

That is great. I had just looked at your site to see if I could think of anything else, and noticed that it was looking correct in Firefox. Margins and Paddings are not what I would have thought of.

I have learned something about web programming today, and any day I learn something is a good day.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.