Greek, cyrillic and Asian characters...

User 1589165 Photo

3 posts

The HTML Editor cannot handle other fonts than standard. This is a real drawback if you are working with multiple language files. I´m not doing lots of text in different languages. Right now it´s mainly displaying the contents of a CD with user documentation.
Typically:
- A list of languages, written in each language: English, Deutsch, ???????? etc. (see - this dialog could display the Greek word, at least in my IE 8 window)
- A second page for each language with a brief description of the documents on the CD

The list of languages can be handled by using numerical codes for Asian languages but I would rather want to avoid that for other languages.
And when it comes to including text extracts from the translated user manuals, I don´t want to go to an external text editor.
I like everything else with The HTML Editor: The tabs at the left side, My websites, the previews, code support, the user-friendly design. But the use of the software becomes limited when you have to do polishing in another editor, such as Notepad ++. If you open a HTML file which contains Asian, Greek or cyrrillic text, in The HTML Editor and resave, these texts are replaced by ???, which is very annoying.

Thanks, for giving this matter some consideration :)
Attachments:
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya DidrikB,

Some "polishing" you have to do with any editor. Even Dreamweaver that you spend $400 USD on requires you to copy your text to an external raw text editor to strip extraneous hidden code if you're copying from anything that is Microsoft, copying directly from a website page etc. Hidden code is something that no editor can remove so... there's always something lol.

Wish I could help on the language thing though, but if you're copying your text from some awesome document, that might be part of the issue there. You'll need to copy that text to a text editor to strip the extra code out that will most likely be following with it. Then copy it from the text editor into the HTML Editor. Not sure if that will help much visually, but I can guarantee you your code will love you better for it and so will your frustration level later when you can't figure out why a particular sentence is colored wrong, or wrong font, or weird special characters showing up that shouldn't be there etc.

Good luck on the language part though, but hopefully the above helps a little bit to know about how things work for pasting text and code. :)
User 1589165 Photo

3 posts

The problem is that CC HTML Editor does not understand all UTF-8 codes.
Notepad++ has an extensive "Encoding" menu. There is no similar function in CC HTML Editor.
If you set encoding to UTF-8 in Notepad++ it handles all of those "exotic" characters. There are no hidden characters, just "plain" Russian or Greek letters or other characters.
I can even paste into the standard Windows Notepad and it displays the correct characters.
But when pasting from Notepad into CC HTML Editor, it displays ???????
Even when opening HTML pages in a web project, where there already foreign characters, the HTML editor just displays ????.

This is not really acceptable. I expect that you develop the HTML Editor to handle international characters in a better way, there are many more languages than English out there you know :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I would suggest opening a support ticket with CC to see if they have any work arounds for you. Many times they can help get things to work that aren't inherent to the program, or they will at the very least add it to their todo list of things to incorporate in an update.

In other words ... if they don't know it's broke, they can't fix it :)

You can open a support ticket by doing the following:

Go to the top right of the website here
Click account then Your Support Room
Start support topic and ask the same question there.
User 1589165 Photo

3 posts

I did post a support ticket, but they must have redirected it to the forum. I was hoping to get some response from Coffee Cup. But I´ll try again. I have seen similar questions in the forum and it seems that character encoding has not been a priority for CoffeeCup. But if they want their tools to be globally useful then maybe they could start looking at that.
User 2719032 Photo

11 posts

Still trying to paste, but it is all Greek to CC HTML Editor, or should I say it is all "???????????????" !!
Will this be fixed at some point?

Otherwise a great product.
Please Help!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.