Coffee.exe disappears - Post ID 266362

User 2159860 Photo

3 posts

On a Windows 10 pc, when I tried to run CoffeeCup today, my system reported the Coffee.exe was moved or deleted. I looked in the install directory and it was, indeed, gone. After uninstall and reinstall, CC works once, then the next time, it is deleted again. Any ideas why?
User 515127 Photo

116 posts

Where are you installing it to?

On my web development PC (Running Win 7 x64 pro) - the HTML Editor installed itself into C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Roaming\CoffeeCup Software

User 2159860 Photo

3 posts

Yes. Same location.
User 515127 Photo

116 posts

gllincoln wrote:
On my web development PC (Running Win 7 x64 pro) - the HTML Editor installed itself into C:\Users\Gordon\AppData\Roaming\CoffeeCup Software

Ray Owens wrote:
Yes. Same location.

I start wondering about IT Dept desktop management interactions, or auto-backup and restore software, synchronizing software going awry, or a funky shadow copy OS thing going on - when weirdness starts happening within the user profile food chain. I doubt that the issue has anything to do with the HTML editor per se. I don't particularly like it when apps install in the profile folder. I've run into some odd performance issues when the user profile gets huge.

I can't recall the install process for HTML Editor - only time I've installed it was when an upgrade was released and I used the defaults. Assuming that it allows you to install it somewhere else, maybe try installing the app somewhere else, not within your profile folders?

Have you checked the log of your antivirus software?

I did notice that the latest version of HTML editor doubled in file download size, from the previous releases.

I'd check the properties of your C:/user folder - see how big it is, and check the C: drive free space.

Just some thoughts...

Sincerely,
Gordon
User 2159860 Photo

3 posts

Thanks Gordon. I'll let you know how it goes.
User 2141728 Photo

2 posts

I am having the same problem. Did reinstalling to a different folder work?
User 2141728 Photo

2 posts

THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!:(
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Are you by any chance using Ccleaner? There was an issue some years ago about Ccleaner removing something pertaining to the HTML Editor, but unfortunately I don't remember what was removed. Anyway, there is a setting in Ccleaner among 'Programs' where you can exclude the Editor from 'cleaning'.

Don't know if this applies in your case, though...
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

While sitting here thinking, I also remember something about Norton AV. There was a problem with Norton flagging the Editor as 'unsavory', but I think it was set right by Scott or someone else from the CC staff. Anyway, this is also fairly old. I'm just mentioning it so that you can test it - if you are using Norton, that is.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Shouting in bold and upper case is the sure fire way to get no one to help you, Arthur! ;)

Our software does not have the ability to delete itself. That would just be nasty if it could!

It sounds like your Windows Defender or another security program is quarantining the EXE. I know we had another user mention this after upgrading to Windows 10 anniversary update and it was their Windows Defender database that was corrupted. Once they repaired that, the problem went away.

You can look here. You can also setup an exclusions list as well.

https://s18.postimg.org/ucic9bo95/Screen_Shot_2016_10_25_at_1_14_10_PM.png

I would start there and double check all security settings to make sure they are not causing any conflict. Windows is certainly doing something it should not be.

All else fails, format that computer. That will fix everything. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.