Code syntax/formatting is lost - Post...

User 2668148 Photo

4 posts

I edit Dreamweaver created html5 files and upload using the Coffee Cup internal FTP Client. When the web designer opens them in Dreamweaver all the code formatting disappears and the file becomes one line of code. What is happening?

Tech support basically passed the buck and pointed me here. One would think a formatted text file would be compatible with other applications. I think the proper description would lack of cross platform compatibility.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

I haven't come across any options in Direct FTP for minifying code, so I don't think it's happening there. Seems more likely to be a DW setting.
There are a few different suggestions in the Adobe forum for turning off CSS minifying in DW (CS6), post #4 and #22 mention specific settings:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1108974 … p;tstart=0
Tech support basically passed the buck and pointed me here.
Have you tried the Adobe DW forum?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 2668148 Photo

4 posts

Thank you
I downloaded Notepad++ and am using FileZilla, not as convenient but it does not cost anything AND NO file hosing. The Web developer was not happy with me, he overwrote his desktop files. I thought I could 'cleanse' through NP++ but a big NOT! He said it could be a FTP settings issue, but I found a workaround. I will check into it more later when things cool off a bit. We were updating my site 3 time zones apart.

He is the DW guy - me - the 'don't wanna be hacker' - a small vineyard and winery owner/slave; wine descriptions, accolades, new wines, sold out wines require constant updating - generally text changes are my forte, maybe change one line of text into two, some bold facing - I am glad I merely looked at the CSS files. That could have been a real disaster :-).

I was an intern in tech support for a major manufacturing (CNC) software company, our TS would have eaten CC support for lunch. They need a bit of QA...

Thanks again - nice homey
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Well, tell your DW guy to CHECK HIS SETTINGS :lol:
Sounds like he should have set you up with a content management system so you could make your updates without having to access the code files or use an outside FTP. :rolleyes:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
User 2668148 Photo

4 posts

He has multiple clients... am do not want to wag the dog. Back to CC CS, why should a customer have to go OUTSIDE of CC to get an answer.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

...why should a customer have to go OUTSIDE of CC to get an answer.

Because neither the CC Editor or DFTP minify CSS, it's hard to tell how that's happening. If you would post a link to the site, that might give us a clue, right now, all we have to go on is that the site was created in DW, not CC. There could be settings, add-ons and/or plugins we don't know about. We can't see what's on that server, either.
(Did you check out the link I posted above?)

I edit Dreamweaver created html5 files...

...It's not that we want to make you go elsewhere, maybe there's someone here who also uses DW – but in general, we're more familiar with CC. Have you talked to anyone in the DW forums?

He is the DW guy - me - the 'don't wanna be hacker

Tell him you'd like a CMS so you don't have to mess around in the code. ;)
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Charles Buffington wrote:
I edit Dreamweaver created html5 files and upload using the Coffee Cup internal FTP Client. When the web designer opens them in Dreamweaver all the code formatting disappears and the file becomes one line of code. What is happening?

Tech support basically passed the buck and pointed me here. One would think a formatted text file would be compatible with other applications. I think the proper description would lack of cross platform compatibility.

I would venture to say that this is not minifying. I've seen this before. A file is initially uploaded as binary and the ftp client downloads it as text (or vice versa). Therefore, the issue is not a CC or cross-platform issue.

Try this:
Open the file using Windows Notepad. See if the code is all one line. If it is all one line, then try opening it in Wordpad. If the code looks correct, what I said above is most likely the case.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2668148 Photo

4 posts

Thanks for the info - bottom line I am a 100 hour a week guy then I get busy during crush,,, I found a workaround got my changes made on the site. Sometime during the process - I did open one of the files in wordpad (I have never liked notepad and used Bedit during my AutoLisp code, AutoCad script days)- the file was one line of code. My web designer wanted me to use notepad - NOT.

I do not have time to troubleshoot software - the files were edited in the past and uploaded with CC FTP, I think, or likely FileZilla. with no problem.

I could not find any settings for DFTP, which has only been used for uploading. I bought some software to increase my productivity and it is presently costing me more time than I have to spare, reducing my productivity.

Thanks again for the info, I will hang onto this link and may revisit at a later date.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.